NIL

Bamamonts

Gravey

It's like professional sports where they're paid on what you "think" they'll do and not on actual performance. It was intriguing that their deal can go down based on performance later. I still hate it but it's not going anywhere. The numbers were lower than what you hear as well which I thought was also interesting. Always hearing millions being thrown around but looks like that's not the case. Regardless $150-400k for a college athlete ain't too shabby at all.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I wonder how much of what is mentioned is actually written in their contracts and how much is via spoken contract only. Several considerations mentioned are direct NCAA rules violations. This article gives a very good picture of what is going on which is what most of us suspected already.

Bamamonts

It's like professional sports where they're paid on what you "think" they'll do and not on actual performance. It was intriguing that their deal can go down based on performance later. I still hate it but it's not going anywhere. The numbers were lower than what you hear as well which I thought was also interesting. Always hearing millions being thrown around but looks like that's not the case. Regardless $150-400k for a college athlete ain't too shabby at all.
I don't really like NIL either but like you said it's not going anywhere. I like the idea that one recruit said you have to earn it. You have a brand that is your name and you have to go out and sell it.

bowhunterfanatic

I don't really like NIL either but like you said it's not going anywhere. I like the idea that one recruit said you have to earn it. You have a brand that is your name and you have to go out and sell it.
That's definitely what the NCAA had in mind when they were forced to allow NIL. That's also how it should work in my mind. BUT, we all knew once it was allowed that pay for play would start happening almost instantly. It was already occurring under the table so NIL just made it a lot easier to get away with.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
"NIL" needs to be removed from the title of what is taking place.

Players were supposed to "earn it" based on what someone would pay them for use of their name, image, or likeness (NIL) in promotions, ads, video games, and things like that. There are some players, especially initially, who were getting paid for use of their NIL and some currently that are getting used this way. Some players are in ads, billboards, TV commercials, etc.. Maybe a guy is getting $400,000 and is required to show up at a car dealership one weekend, I don't know.

Latest posts