Newbie question

Tn_Va_Hunter

Looking to get started trapping. Wanna go with the MB 550 traps. Probably start with 6 of them.
Question is. I'm a complete newbie. Could y'all list what exactly I need to get started ?

hammer33

Minimum you will want.
Traps. MB550's are a great trap.
You will need some sort of staking system. I like the berkshire disposable cable stakes & stake driver. I do NOT like using rebar stakes.
Might want to get some cable and crimps or you can order cable stakes already made. & some quick links for attaching trap chain to cable stakes.

You will want something to dig trap beds. Im still using an old framing hammer.
You will want a sifter to sift dirt/peatmoss.
You will need some sort of pan cover. I use polyfill under the pan.

Pick your spot.
Dig your trap bed.
Drive anchor stake. & pull to set.
Set trap. Put polyfill under the pan.
Bed trap. Sift peatmoss over trap and carefully pack down.
Sift dirt over peatmoss to blend in.

Bait or lure depending on the type of set you are making. Can be commercially purchased or bait can be leftovers meat based food. I get a lot of refusals or rolling on the trap when I use lures.
So I almost exclusively use baits. Bacon grease, venison scraps, meat scraps, dead mouse, roadkill bird.... Figure if a dog or coyote will eat it, it would be a good bait.

Optional. (but nice to have)
Knee pad
Gloves
Peatmoss for bedding traps.
Wax Dirt & dry dirt.
Trap dye, paint, & wax.
Antifreeze or salt
trap setter tool.
Fancy digging hammer
Small trowel or dirt auger for digging dirt holes.
Pliers/cable cutter /wirecutters.

rem270

I put this cart together for someone a couple weeks ago for someone asking the same thing. I did leave out a stake puller that I would highly recommend getting too.

Edit to add, I also left a sifter out too. You'll definitely need one of them.

For dirt, I been using 100 percent peat moss. It's been wet lately around here so I couldn't mix dirt and peat moss together. What I like about the peat moss is it keeps the trap nice and dry underneath in wet conditions.
327394.jpeg

deerkiller300wsm

All you need to start is trap wax and trap tags.

hammer33

Ooops. Forgot trap tags. for next season I might just engrave the info on the trap jaw. Half my traps are out of commission until I get some new tags made. The old ones came off during a catch.

Shanman

Looking to get started trapping. Wanna go with the MB 550 traps. Probably start with 6 of them.
Question is. I'm a complete newbie. Could y'all list what exactly I need to get started ?
First things first…..educate yourself, read and watch everything you can about your target species. Better to buy once than to have money invested in a bunch of stuff you don't need. I highly recommend Matt Jones and James Lord videos for yotes and James Lord videos for cats, will save you years on the learning curve. 😉 550's are an excellent trap and James runs them 2 coiled. Beware…… trapping is addictive!

Latest posts