Total Newbie - Beaver Question

twstephens77

Howdy everyone. I'm brand new to this forum, relatively new to the state, and still getting my bearings when it comes to finding beaver. My question is a pretty simple one - do the small tributary creeks of Middle Tennessee hold beaver, or do they just live in larger rivers, ponds, lakes etc. in this area? If so, how small a creek will they occupy? I've started doing some scouting lately, and found some sign on one small creek (average ~4-7' across, never found the den/lodge), but other than that haven't seen much. Any input is greatly appreciated!

hammer33

Yes they are in small creeks. Only way to tell if they are in yours is to find sign or make some blind sets. Try a castor mound set and see if you get any action.

Specializedjon

@tnstephens77

First of all, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to ask about beaver hunting and trapping. Full disclosure, I don't hunt or trap beavers anymore. Back in the day, it was every weekend it seems Ike I was finding a new "honey hole". I will tell you, it's expensive and time consuming. I've spent thousands if not hundreds of thousands on hunting beavers in my day. I've perused them all over the country and I can tell you from experience, the south has some of the nicest beavers I've ever seen. I've never done any taxidermy work on any of my beavers but a few of them, especially one in particular, I'd love to have on the wall in the shop. My advise, stay away from the angry beaver and when you find that special one, make sure it's cleaned really well before handling. Some of the beavers in Alabama can be angry so tread lightly bro. Happy hunting and let us know what you find.

- Old, Broke down, beat up, poor beaver hunter

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
@tnstephens77

First of all, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to ask about beaver hunting and trapping. Full disclosure, I don't hunt or trap beavers anymore. Back in the day, it was every weekend it seems Ike I was finding a new "honey hole". I will tell you, it's expensive and time consuming. I've spent thousands if not hundreds of thousands on hunting beavers in my day. I've perused them all over the country and I can tell you from experience, the south has some of the nicest beavers I've ever seen. I've never done any taxidermy work on any of my beavers but a few of them, especially one in particular, I'd love to have on the wall in the shop. My advise, stay away from the angry beaver and when you find that special one, make sure it's cleaned really well before handling. Some of the beavers in Alabama can be angry so tread lightly bro. Happy hunting and let us know what you find.

- Old, Broke down, beat up, poor beaver hunter

twstephens77

So, lesson learned here lol 🤣 I'll ask the question in a slightly different, and hopefully more clear, manner:

When searching the small, rocky, shallow, etc. tributary creeks of Middle Tennessee, can one expect to find residences of the aquatic mammal castor canadensis?...

And yes, the one with a lot of wet fur and a big ol' tail that mostly comes out at night.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
1675964919539.gif

Specializedjon

So, lesson learned here lol 🤣 I'll ask the question in a slightly different, and hopefully more clear, manner:

When searching the small, rocky, shallow, etc. tributary creeks of Middle Tennessee, can one expect to find residences of the aquatic mammal castor canadensis?...

And yes, the one with a lot of wet fur and a big ol' tail that mostly comes out at night.
Well done bro. You're gonna fit right in.

There are a few key words that will send all of us 12-year olds into a frenzy...."beaver" is up there at the top.

Latest posts