New to reloading question?

ratsnakeboogy

I had loading supplies in the garage for 2 years, I have yet to do anything because I just don't have the knowledge and I like my face attached. I ordered some 53gr barnes tsx's for the .223 Model 7 and would like to start with these. My dies should be here next week. On the Barnes box it says the bullets should be seated .050 of the lands to avoid pressure issues. What does that mean exactly, and how do I measure it? I'm not touching anything 'till I have better understanding of the process.

Thanks.

JimFromTN

Go out to smartfix.com and you can rent the AGI reloading videos by Darrell Holland and David Tubb for $10 a week. Kind of pricey but they normally go for $30 or more if you buy them.

sneakboxer

If you haven't read a few reloading books cover to cover, that is where i would start. The Hornady book has an illustrated section on depth and rifling engagement. Slight changes is length can cause serious pressure changes. For example: too short OAL and you reduce case capacity and raise pressure, too long and the bullet engages the rifling with out a jump and pressures increase. It is good to see that you asked on here prior to winging it.
You might want to get some cheap bullets to get the hang of reloading before sending the Barns down range.
Best of luck and stay safe,

ratsnakeboogy

My local gunshop is offering an 8 hour handloading coarse this January. I signed up yesterday, it's $85 but you get a reloading manual. I don't know anybody close, so I am going this route.

Latest posts