New to ATVs...Advice

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I am looking at buying an ATV and am completely clueless as to what I should be looking at. Have read a few posts about buying used ATVs and the big thing was listening for anything that didnt sound right.

Some of the questions I have:
1) What would be considered excess mileage?
2) What size? Am considering getting into a lease in the near future, buying land a few years down the road and putting in food plots.
3) Is a wench reccomended?
4) Trailer or ramps?
5) Updated question: Are there any concerns for an ATV with a lift kit?

Any words of advice/wisdom are welcome

stik

44fanatic said:
I am looking at buying an ATV and am completely clueless as to what I should be looking at. Have read a few posts about buying used ATVs and the big thing was listening for anything that didnt sound right.

2) What size? Am considering getting into a lease in the near future, buying land a few years down the road and putting in food plots.
4) Trailer or ramps?

Any words of advice/wisdom are welcome

1)no clue
2)400 is a good size
3)i have a winch. never used it but it's there.
4)trailer

only words of advice i have are YAMAHA or HONDA

ShaneHallum

If your gonna be using it for the foodplot work, get a 4x4. 400cc or bigger. All brands make good machines, but personally, I'm leary of the belt systems on alot of the bikes.

Look for wear and tear more than worrying about the miles. You can tell when somebody has had one in the mud and rough stuff.

We got a new Honda Rancher back last year, it's just the 2wd. model, but we paid 4200 out the door for it.

I would get a trailer instead of loading it in the truck.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Just found this one a couple of minutes ago:

2005 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force

This is a 1 owner well kept very low 62 hours, V-Twin 750 Kawasaki Brute Force Automatic Trans with Factory Camouflage Exterior and Rifle Rack..... It has never been wrecked or in any accidents, it does have some minor scratches from running through the brush and [color:#FF0000]some minor nicks on the tire rims from when riding in the river from the rocks[/color], this was at a slow run, not running wild, this machine has never been abused..... It has had all its maintenance on time and been maintained monthly and annually.... I just got it back out of the shop from its last check up and had them look everything over and everything is still just fine.... It only has 62 hours of running time, putting that into perspective is like ridding it for a couple weeks at 5 hour a day, that's not much in the 4+ years I have had it.

Should that river run be a concern? ATV is selling for $2800.
300 mile road trip to check it out for me.

ShaneHallum

No thats normal wear and tear. If you go to look at it, take the seat off.. look in the airbox.. look under the gas tank.. LOOK for signs of water.

Most airbox's have a drain tube. take it off and see if its got mud in it. Sounds like a good deal.

FULLDRAWXX75

ShaneHallum said:
No thats normal wear and tear. If you go to look at it, take the seat off.. look in the airbox.. look under the gas tank.. LOOK for signs of water.

Most airbox's have a drain tube. take it off and see if its got mud in it. Sounds like a good deal.

Good advice there, also check electrical connectors.....an idle machine is a rotting machine unless kept in a climate controlled area.

The only concern I would be slightly leary about, is the fact the guy is emphisizing the fact he has had all the maintainance don't regularly on a machine with only 62 hrs on it, unless he is clueless about the machine and the dealer has him brainwashed on bringing it in for service all the time.

FDXX75

arctic_cat

If it was me I would bye a new one. You just never know how hard the person before rode it. It might not have many miles or hours on it but it could be hard miles and hours. All make good rides these days. Get a 4x4 and at least a 400cc, and put a winch on it. You may never use it but if you need it you got it.

shelbydeer

4) Trailer or ramps?
5) Updated question: Are there any concerns for an ATV with a lift kit?

Any words of advice/wisdom are welcome[/quote]

1. dont buy a used one.
2. If you plan on using it for ffod plots get a 500cc. I have a 400cc and it puts strain on the engine pulling equipment, i no longer can use it for food plots due to this reason.
3. get a winch.... you may end up getting stuck somewhere and have no one else around. I use my winch to for other purposes also...strapping deer on front rack,ect.
4. this is a personal preferance, trailors are expensive so may want to load in truck at first
5. no need for a lift kit unless you plan on doing some trail riding.

Buy a new one and get a warranty, if anything were to go wrong in the first few years all you have to do is take it back to the dealer. Look at the HOnda foreman(500cc) or the yamaha grizzly(500cc). good luck with the purchase

megalomaniac

Nothing wrong with buying a used one IF you know how it was used. Stay away from anything with snorkels. Also, check the diff fluids for any signs of water. I bought a used '07 Rancher 4x4 ES back in '08 with 40 hours and 250 miles on it for $3800 and it's run like a top... but the guy used it only for hunting (no mud or water) and he was headed back to Iraq and didn't want it to sit idle and depreciate for 18 months.

No ATV is gonna be great for food plot work, but the forman is hard to beat for pulling the ATV implements around in circles.

Lift kits are often harder on the driveshafts, mostly because they allow you to run oversize tires. It's a subtle sign that the bike may have been used for mudding in the past.

scrambler

the brute force is a nice machine with lots of power , thump on the throttle and the front end will come up. if your gonna work one get at least a 500 cc machine . like was said stay away from lifted n snorkeled machines unless your into mud boggin.a trailer is a safer n easier way to haul a qaud .

hunter3405

I got a Polaris Sportsman 500, i got it because it has a higher clearance than the Honda. Although for the record i woudl rather have a honda. The Polaris flips easy. Got a 2 year old model with full warranty from a dealer in Columbia. I would ask around and see if any dealers have overstock or closeout models taking up space on their lot. Get a new one if you are looking to spend the money. Dont get air cooled if you are gonna be putting in plots and pulling attachments. As for a trailer, i would recommend Cotters in Lawrenceburg, they are cheap.

XMAN

I have a 96 honda 400, it has 8,000 miles on it and that is alot. But i live in the middle of the mtn. and use it quiet a bit.
But if i was going to buy anything, i'm telling you this because its pure fact.I have never been on a joy ride with a polaris and not have to pull it home.Never ever. Buy a honda unless you know you like going to the shop. Would not buy anything over 2500 miles.Most used have less than that. Mine has 8,000 and never a min. of trouble and other than scratches, it looks new.But i take very good care of mt 4 wheeler.But just to give ya an idea, 4000 miles is alot of miles.

7-08 fan

In my opinion go look at the Yamaha grizzly,bruin, line of atv in either the 450 or 700. Like the suzuki Kingquad as well I just dont have any personal experience with it I am a diehard YAMAHA fan.

foldemup

Don't purchase a four wheeler to do food plots....rent a tractor! That said, I have a yamaha grizzly 700 with the power steering and absolutely love everything about it except that I didn't buy a good metal cage to go all around it and now my plastic is all busted up everywhere......anybody know where I can get full replacement plastic for a good price!LOL!

muzzy76

i would recommend a honda if you want one to keep for several years... otherwise anything you can find for cheap will work- just make sure to test drive it thoroughly prior to purchasing- listen to it idle for a good while too- make sure it is started cold in front of you too

I bought a 2 wheel drive '99 kawasaki bayou two years ago for 1k... I have absolutely abused it almost on a daily basis ever since I've owned it- still runs pretty good too... but I never expected it to last this long!

Viper (tp)

I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 1991 model that I bought in 1992.This thing has done the job, and has hauled too many deer to count out of the bottoms. But with that said come time to up grade, being that 2 to 3 people hunt with me, so I built a trailor to haul all the folks,stands and fire arms needed.As long as you are on solid ground, the 22o will take care of bussiness.

When the rains come and you are loaded to the gills, and you have to cross the big creek thats on the farm we have now to hunt on, man I was stuck everytime I turned around.

So I invested in a polaris sportsman 500, and all problems went away, dang what clearense, power to pull what ever you wanted to pull, and the ride well its unmatched in my opinion.

Now my intensions was to buy a rancher, after riding my friends, plus being able to get the polaris with 150 more ccs for less money well I bought the 500, and I have to admit that I'm not sorry at all about it.

There are good and bads out there no mater what brand, but the Polaris and my old Kawasaki still get it done!