Food Plots New plots

BSK

In the past, when creating a new food plot, I usually looked for a location that: 1) would require the least equipment, time, and manpower to clean into a food plot, such as old log loading decks; or 2) was in the best location for deer traffic. However, over the years I learned poor-quality soils outweigh everything else. Now I choose food plot locations almost exclusively by local soil quality. In essence, find the best soil. Better soil means better plot growth which will draw the deer.

My two newest plots, in locations chosen for soil quality. Not a rock in them. The only problem has been typical of a newly cleared location; i.e. roots, and lots of them. But they will slowly clear away over the next couple of years.

Attachments

• plots6.jpg
    plots6.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 191
  • plots7.jpg
    plots7.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

BSK

Also in the past, I preferred lots of little small food plots, because bucks are more likely to step into a small opening in daylight versus a big opening. However, I've learned that when it comes to crop production, bigger is better. Surrounding trees really suck the moisture and nutrients out of food plot soil. If you want a lot of plant growth (higher forage production), have more open ground. Now, I would prefer one 1-acre plot versus four 1/4-acre plots.

The above pictured plots are 1 acre on the left, just over 1 1/2 acres on the right.

JCDEERMAN

Looks great! In your opinion, where was the best place to start once the timber was hauled off? It looks as though you had everything pushed off to the sides. We prefer not to do that, but rather de-stump and pile up with the tree tops and have a few burn cycles. Then push off to the sides with a lot less eye sores and faster decomposing of the existing wood, etc....

Trying to find the most efficient method in doing this. We have 2 new food plots clear-cut (9 to go) and ready for equipment. We have access to 3 pieces of equipment: Trackhoe, Track loader and a D6 dozer

DoubleRidge

Looks great! In your opinion, where was the best place to start once the timber was hauled off? It looks as though you had everything pushed off to the sides. We prefer not to do that, but rather de-stump and pile up with the tree tops and have a few burn cycles. Then push off to the sides with a lot less eye sores and faster decomposing of the existing wood, etc....

Trying to find the most efficient method in doing this. We have 2 new food plots clear-cut (9 to go) and ready for equipment. We have access to 3 pieces of equipment: Trackhoe, Track loader and a D6 dozer

Look forward to hearing BSK opinion on the topic.....for our project the timber company took allot of pulp wood so we didn't have allot of large tree tops....bundles of limbs yes...but most of what we had to deal with was large stumps....which don't burn well....and while we had a trackhoe and D6 on the job....the clock was ticking.... runtime = cost.....I asked about piling and burning all stumps from the 2 acre & 3 acre plots and he estimated couple days minimum... budget didn't allow that....so with both new plots being on ridge tops we had the stumps pushed off into the bottom of the hollow out of sight.....some debris is around side of plot but mostly loose trash that will rot down quickly.....no big stumps or tree tops are piled at edge of plot....it was the most cost effective option for our situation.....happy with how it turned out....now the focus is shifting too building our soil quality.

JCDEERMAN

Look forward to hearing BSK opinion on the topic.....for our project the timber company took allot of pulp wood so we didn't have allot of large tree tops....bundles of limbs yes...but most of what we had to deal with was large stumps....which don't burn well....and while we had a trackhoe and D6 on the job....the clock was ticking.... runtime = cost.....I asked about piling and burning all stumps from the 2 acre & 3 acre plots and he estimated couple days minimum... budget didn't allow that....so with both new plots being on ridge tops we had the stumps pushed off into the bottom of the hollow out of sight.....some debris is around side of plot but mostly loose trash that will rot down quickly.....no big stumps or tree tops are piled at edge of plot....it was the most cost effective option for our situation.....happy with how it turned out....now the focus is shifting too building our soil quality.
We are also thinking about doing as you mentioned - pushing all of the stumps down into a hollow. A lot of the new plots are adjacent to our burn areas., so those are a no-brainer. However 5 of them are not, but have a steep ravine at the corner of each one. We may push them down into that and let them rot. Then, just pile and burn the tops. That probably won't take long.

Ya'll know how distrubt a newly-cut area looks. There is stuff laying everywhere and you can't see half the stumps under limbs, tops, etc....Trying to decide if the track hoe or track loader would be more efficient starting out. The logger is leaving 2 feet of the stump so we can have some leverage getting out. The dozer will come in last for the final steps.

DoubleRidge

We are also thinking about doing as you mentioned - pushing all of the stumps down into a hollow. A lot of the new plots are adjacent to our burn areas., so those are a no-brainer. However 5 of them are not, but have a steep ravine at the corner of each one. We may push them down into that and let them rot. Then, just pile and burn the tops. That probably won't take long.

Ya'll know how distrubt a newly-cut area looks. There is stuff laying everywhere and you can't see half the stumps under limbs, tops, etc....Trying to decide if the track hoe or track loader would be more efficient starting out. The logger is leaving 2 feet of the stump so we can have some leverage getting out. The dozer will come in last for the final steps.

The tops will burn up quick....and a trackhoe and D6 will have those plots cleaned up quick....I was amazed at what one man was able to accomplish from one day to the next..... exciting to make progress! Enjoy the process!

BSK

I would MUCH prefer trees/stumps piled in the middle and burned. Not only is it less of an eyesore, the burned ashes do wonders for new soil. In addition, trees/stumps piled along the edges provide too many denning locations for coyotes. But I had to live with what the loggers were willing to do, and pushing trees/stumps to the edges was the limit of their food plot knowledgebase. And by the way, I have zero equipment for moving trees/dirt. That little 32 HP John Deere in the first picture is the sum total of our equipment.

BSK

Everything depends on how wet the soil is. If wet, a dozer pushes stumps out quite easily. But if the soil is hard and dry, a track-hoe makes quicker work of stumps because it can get down underneath and lift.

BSK

Personally, I was just thrilled I could get the loggers to clear those spots for me free of charge. If I had been paying someone to clear those spots, I would have done it differently (burned left over debris). I have plots that 20 years later I can still see where the burn pile was because the plants grow so much better from all the ash.

JCDEERMAN

Personally, I was just thrilled I could get the loggers to clear those spots for me free of charge. If I had been paying someone to clear those spots, I would have done it differently (burned left over debris). I have plots that 20 years later I can still see where the burn pile was because the plants grow so much better from all the ash.
Totally agree with the decision you all made for the situation. Even with everything piled up on the sides, once that sucker is lush green, that will be the focal point and be beautiful. Plus, it looks like you all can now key in on specific entrances and exits the deer/turkeys will use for feeding, etc....

As far as the ashes (that I eluded to), that's why we are trying to burn as much stuff as we can, because we will then try to spread some of those ashes out (the best we can) with the dozer and box blade. We will have 2 tractors running with discs and pull logs behind those discs to level out as much as possible. Should be quick moving as soon as we can start getting everything piled up. Just didn't know the best method. Heck, I've already got the drip torches ready.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your progress - I love this stuff more than the hunting itself.

BSK

The best method I've seen for burning tree/stump piles involved a portable gas-powered fan than also sprayed a thin stream of diesel fuel onto the log pile. I wish I knew where to get one of these. I've searched around the internet and have found brush pile burning fans, but not ones that also sprayed the stream of fuel. Anyone know what they're called?

Had a guy use when on our log piles in winter and that thing burned a hole straight through the pile of logs in an hour or two. Extremely efficient, especially on green logs.

DoubleRidge

The best method I've seen for burning tree/stump piles involved a portable gas-powered fan than also sprayed a thin stream of diesel fuel onto the log pile. I wish I knew where to get one of these. I've searched around the internet and have found brush pile burning fans, but not ones that also sprayed the stream of fuel. Anyone know what they're called?

Had a guy use when on our log piles in winter and that thing burned a hole straight through the pile of logs in an hour or two. Extremely efficient, especially on green logs.

Interesting....never heard of such a device?.....but a cordless leaf blower will sure get a brush pile roaring in a hurry....I've used the leaf blower multiple times to get one going good.....not on green logs....but it makes brush burning go quick!

BSK

Ventry specifically makes fans for burning brush piles. Here's a link to their website:

Interestingly, on their website they respond to the question about fans spraying a mist of diesel fuel. They say they don't make one and they don't know anyone who does because of the inherent safety problems. But I actually saw one in use (and thought, "Can that be safe?").

JCDEERMAN

Ventry specifically makes fans for burning brush piles. Here's a link to their website:

Interestingly, on their website they respond to the question about fans spraying a mist of diesel fuel. They say they don't make one and they don't know anyone who does because of the inherent safety problems. But I actually saw one in use (and thought, "Can that be safe?").
Just watched a few videos on YouTube on these. I'm willing to bet a couple backpack blowers will really agitate some flames

megalomaniac

It's called a fire curtain

Crew doing the the groundwork for the new compressor station on my lease cleared and burned 7 acres of 18yo pines green with that thing in a couple weeks. Not sure why they didn't market the timber, but they have tight deadlines.

tellico4x4

Bryan, what's your plan for lime on new plots? I'm in same boat with 8 new plots just cleared.These were 3 yr old loading decks so stumps fairly rotten & cleaned up well.
Already have dolomite scheduled next month for all our other plots & these will get it too, but that's not going to do anything for this fall...Thought I'd go ahead and hit them with pellitized now as well. Have never doubled up before though.

Latest posts