New Hornady A-Tip 6mm bullets

MUP

Anyone tried them yet? I read a review on Outdoor Life that they were shooting past 2000yds with them, and pretty darn consistently. 110 gr with an aluminum tip, long ogive, Doppler radar tested as well showing very consistent flight? Too bad they're listed as MATCH bullets only, would like to try them, and hunt with them as well, or at least let my daughter hunt with them. :)

Jcalder

I'd guess unless you have a fast twist barrel they won't group. I tried the eldx in my 243 with a 9.25 twist and was lucky to hit a 2 foot square at 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUP

The article I read said they were very forgiving of barrel twist rate as well. I'd just like to get a heavier bullet in my daughter's .243 for hunting. I'm loading 100gr NP's right now, and they work fine, but would like to give her every advantage with a little extra knockdown power if I could. Also the author was loading with H4350 as well.

DaveB

Check out Hodgdon.com reload info.

Using IMR7828 in a 243 with a 100/105 gr partition you will see right at 3,000 FPS.

In our 243 Rem 700 ADL this is a very accurate load with good ballistics.

Very highly recommended. Rolled many a piggie and muley in the Parkfield/Coalingua/Cholame area of California with the 7828 load.

Note:
Same is true using RL19.

mike243

Mup there comes a time when bullet weight vs velocity vs caliber that you would be better off stepping up in caliber imo. velocity in the 243 is 1 of the major points for the 243 with a lot of shock transmitted to the lungs and turning them to jelly, using premium bullets I got runners more often due to less internal damage. 100g federal was my go to round, shot a box of 95g Accu point with a few pass thru and some runners, didn't run far and no lost deer though. A 25/06 would be another lightning bolt caliber with lower recoil shooting lighter bullets , so many choices and to few chances to try different stuff in this end of the state lol

MUP

My daughter has taken 2 deer with her .243. The first one was a doe that she shot with a 100 gr corlokt, right thru the heart at under 40 yds, ran a 30 yd circle and fell. The 2nd was a spike, same distance, but with my Nosler partition 100gr handload. DRT thru the heart as well. I'm just always trying to get more ummmph from the smaller caliber I guess. Those A-Tips may actually perform at distance on an animal, I wonder? Similar to NBT's?

Tiny

MUP I have no ideal on those bullets myself yet as haven't seen,however my first thought was hunting n reminds me of the old Silver Tip n Bronze Points. Seen a posting from Powder Valley on Facebook for em. Mentioned Hunting somebody said they had got a hold some for testing n they did ok on game. Me gonna wait n see what when n if Hornady says they will work on game.

Latest posts