6mm ARC

trex

Anybody been shooting the 6mm ARC?
I'm thinking on a AR15 to go along with a bolt action for coyote.
What do you think abought it? The good the bad & the ugly.

Remi

A friend I shoot with has one in an 18" Savage. Shoots good, won't extract 50-60% of the time and when it does the brass kinda dribbles out of the rifle.

Shoots good though, he's using 105's and Varget in Hornady brass.

If I got one I'd get it in a Howa mini 20" heavy barrel like my Grendel but after being around his I'm leaning more to the 20" heavy barreled .223 and 77 tmk's.

backyardtndeer

I have one in an AR platform that I put together, ballistic advantage barrel. I have ave shot it some at paper and had a good load for accuracy with target bullets, but not quite gotten it fine tuned to where I want it yet.

I am running hand loads with converted 6.5 Grendel brass, having zero cycling issues.

Rockhound

Awesome caliber, I have a 20" heavy barrel howa and it shoots sub half moa very consistently. I've built 3 ARs in it as well and they shoot pretty well also

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
A friend I shoot with has one in an 18" Savage. Shoots good, won't extract 50-60% of the time and when it does the brass kinda dribbles out of the rifle.

If I got one I'd get it in a Howa mini 20" heavy barrel like my Grendel but after being around his I'm leaning more to the 20" heavy barreled .223 and 77 tmk's.
Sounds like your buddy's Savage needs a new extractor. They literally take 2 minutes to swap out if you take your time. You can get an aftermarket one for about $20 that is better than the factory one, but the name escapes me right now.

I agree that the Howa mini would s a nice rifle. They have some of their quirks too, but I love my 20" mini sporter in 6.5G

Remi

Sounds like your buddy's Savage needs a new extractor. They literally take 2 minutes to swap out if you take your time. You can get an aftermarket one for about $20 that is better than the factory one, but the name escapes me right now.

I agree that the Howa mini would s a nice rifle. They have some of their quirks too, but I love my 20" mini sporter in 6.5G

We've done the new extractor and went from a .125 to a .140 ball bearing, that's how we got it up to 50-60%. 50-60 is better than the 0% it was

Last edited:

Remi

Oh wow! That's wild

Yeah, he's pretty bummed. It's their tactical model so it wasn't cheap. I've tried to get him to send it in but he won't. It's a shame because it shoots good but that's about it.

He had a 7 shot group of 7.25" and if you dropped one shot where a gust caught him he was around 2" at 600yds for 6 shots if my memory is correct.

105 hpbt
25.7grs of Varget

backyardtndeer

Might check the gas block alignment. Or could be the powder/load. Years ago I had issues with rounds I loaded with 4198 for 223. Ran perfectly fine in a 16 inch carbine, but would not cycle in my rock river varmint 20 inch. Shame because the load was very accurate in the rock river. I tried running up to max in my book with the 4198 and still wouldn't cycle the rr.

Remi

Might check the gas block alignment. Or could be the powder/load. Years ago I had issues with rounds I loaded with 4198 for 223. Ran perfectly fine in a 16 inch carbine, but would not cycle in my rock river varmint 20 inch. Shame because the load was very accurate in the rock river. I tried running up to max in my book with the 4198 and still wouldn't cycle the rr.

It's a Savage bolt action.

TN deer hunter

I'm a big fan of the ARC!

My son killed this 8pt on opening day of rifle season last year using a newly built 6mm ARC using factory Hornady 108gr. ELD-M.
Shot was 320yds, bullet entered behind shoulder and you can see the exit in pic. buck ran 10-15 yds.

Rifle shoots under a 1" @200yds using Hornady factory 108gr ELD-M, velocity avg is 2,571 fps.

I killed this 8pt @ 277 yds opening weekend this year. Deer dropped at the shot, broke both shoulders found the bullet just under the hide of opposite shoulder.

IMG_3354.jpg

Last edited:

mr.big

I've thought about gettin one but I think I would just build an AR in a 6 Grendel,, mainly since it would be a lot simpler making good brass from 6.5 Grendel.

WestTN2288

I have one in an AR and can't say enough good about it. Shoots great and an awesome caliber.

I actually saw some factory ammo the other day for $30/20bullets which isn't terrible, but if you reload then it's a no brainer. 243 bullets with 223ish powder is hard to beat for price

backyardtndeer

Lots of people making arc brass from 6.5 grendel, starline makes 6 arc
Yep, they had it on backorder a couple weeks ago. I started to place an order, but I have a full bag of 6.5 Grendel plus 100 converted 6.5 Lapua cases. I would much prefer to sell or trade the Grendel brass.

WestTN2288

Yep, they had it on backorder a couple weeks ago. I started to place an order, but I have a full bag of 6.5 Grendel plus 100 converted 6.5 Lapua cases. I would much prefer to sell or trade the Grendel brass.
Why is that? I've had good luck making 6arc from 6.5 Grendel and even 7.62x39? Really curious of what the downside is? I haven't seen it…

280longshot

Thought about buying one for a lightweight rifle....really need it to be under 7 lbs with optics. After consideration I'm not sure it would offer much over my 6mm CM fieldcraft. But being a rifle looney my wants sometimes overcome my needs.

backyardtndeer

Why is that? I've had good luck making 6arc from 6.5 Grendel and even 7.62x39? Really curious of what the downside is? I haven't seen it…
No downside at all other than the time involved. Resizing and cutting 250 pieces would take a good bit of my time. I will likely pick up a bag of the starline 6 arc when it comes to backorder status again, and then just trade or sell off the bag of 6.5 that I have.

Latest posts