New Guy here - First Caney Trip

peleejosh

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and I am going on my first caney float trip with a couple of buddies from church this weekend. I read most of the threads on here and they are great.

Any pointers for me? We will be using spinning gear. We have jon boats with motors and trolling motors, so I am not worried about gen.

We are staying at long branch campground.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh

trealtree

If you have read all the threads on the fork you should know how to catch them . Good Luck and welcome to the site. About pointers, well It all really depends on what size fish you are wanting to catch.

bowriter

R.I.P.
You better worry about generation. It has two important aspects, the first being the number of fish and size you will catch. But secondly, no generation= the need for a take out vehicle and a put in vehicle. If they are generating, you can motor back upstream. If not, you either keep floating or drag the boat upstream.

peleejosh

bowriter said:
You better worry about generation. It has two important aspects, the first being the number of fish and size you will catch. But secondly, no generation= the need for a take out vehicle and a put in vehicle. If they are generating, you can motor back upstream. If not, you either keep floating or drag the boat upstream.

Thanks for the info bowriter. So if they are not generating, i can't even use a trolling motor and oars to get back upstream? Also, we planned on starting at the dam early and floating until the start generating (assuming that they will generate), and then motor back up and take out.

Also, i plan on using some in line spinners on my ultralite and some crankbaits on my other light rig. Will this be sufficient. We aren't trying to get any trophies, just hoping to catch a few.

bowriter

R.I.P.
peleejosh said:
bowriter said:

Thanks for the info bowriter. So if they are not generating, i can't even use a trolling motor and oars to get back upstream? Also, we planned on starting at the dam early and floating until the start generating (assuming that they will generate), and then motor back up and take out.

Also, i plan on using some in line spinners on my ultralite and some crankbaits on my other light rig. Will this be sufficient. We aren't trying to get any trophies, just hoping to catch a few.

First you need to see what the generation schedule is. Time your start so that the flow can catch you. Then you can motor back. If they do not generate, even with oars and a trolling motor, you can't get back without dragging the boat 3/4 of the way.

From the dam to Happy Hollow, the first take out point is about 3.5 hours with no gen. It is about 1:45 with a gen. The second take out point is Betty's Island. It is seven hours from the dam with no gen. and about 4.5 with one gen.

The inline spinners will work just fine. Crawfish imitators and Shadraps do well in the deeper holes. I prefer jerkbaits but go with what you have.

Since this is your first trip, I suggest you plan to take out at Happy Hollow for the first float to get the feel of the river. Also, if things fall through re the gens., one person can easily catch a ride back to the dam and bring the truck down.

peleejosh

Thanks again for the info bowriter. I will post up a report and pics when we get back on Sunday. We aren't leaving till friday, so anyone else that has a tip feel free.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I'm expecting to fish the Caney Thursday depending on gen. schedule. I'll let you know. It has been good for numbers the size has not been all that great. The few big fish we have been catching have all come from well down river.

Fordman

Bowriter there are no fish downriver. Tubakka caught and ate them by fishing a jerkbait. I hear he is considering opening Jerky's guide service and his slogan will be "Two jerkoffs and a jon boat" Now half the river wants to stick a spoonplug in his arse !!!!

Latest posts