New gravity grill/smoker

BigAl

Been wanting to get a new grill/smoker so I'm trying this one out. Was going to get the masterbuilt, but supposedly this one is built a little better, but has its own set of problems. My alpha-gal is flaring up so I've cooked several batches of chicken already. Works similar to a pellet but uses charcoal or lump. I've even got it setup to run off my ryobi 18v batteries. Anyone else got one of these?
chargriller2.jpg

JCDEERMAN

Same here! Cooked some pork tenderloin on mine and it was awesome. Ribeyes are the next victim….saturday!
I've got a couple red snapper slabs I need to cook. Probably do that this weekend. Sunday I did a smoked sausage queso dip and last night I did pork chops. Superb! It will sure eat come chips though.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Been wanting to get a new grill/smoker so I'm trying this one out. Was going to get the masterbuilt, but supposedly this one is built a little better, but has its own set of problems. My alpha-gal is flaring up so I've cooked several batches of chicken already. Works similar to a pellet but uses charcoal or lump. I've even got it setup to run off my ryobi 18v batteries. Anyone else got one of these?View attachment 140417
My son has one of these. He has been very happy with it; consistent temperature control and good distribution insider the cooker. I think he has tried lump and briquettes and likes the briquettes better. He said the lump can pile up and restrict air flow but I don't know for sure. Lump usually burns hotter so it seems to me that it would take less to do a long cook; he has added additional charcoal during longer cooks.

My wife bought me a Big Green Egg years ago before I even knew what they were. I love it but I would give some consideration to the above cooker if I was in the market now.

BigAl

My son has one of these. He has been very happy with it; consistent temperature control and good distribution insider the cooker. I think he has tried lump and briquettes and likes the briquettes better. He said the lump can pile up and restrict air flow but I don't know for sure. Lump usually burns hotter so it seems to me that it would take less to do a long cook; he has added additional charcoal during longer cooks.

My wife bought me a Big Green Egg years ago before I even knew what they were. I love it but I would give some consideration to the above cooker if I was in the market now.
Good info. Green egg knockoff is on the left under the cover. It just doesn't hold enough meat, but does fine if I'm cooking a little bit.

JCDEERMAN

Its under a pergola so not completely covered. Been waiting on lumber prices to go down to put a slats and plastic roofing panels on. Probably do that when it gets cooler.
Gotcha. There's a lot of things I have planned as soon as it cools off some

mike243

Only thing that bothers me about them is the fuel usage , charcoal has went up and the sales are not so much on discounts, I read great things about the food off of them .

bluball

I just bought the masterbuilt,havent used it yet though.There are a couple companys making mods for them to fix some of there problems.I work at a metal shop so i have been making my mods myself,shouldnt be long and i will get to try it out.

BigAl

I just bought the masterbuilt,havent used it yet though.There are a couple companys making mods for them to fix some of there problems.I work at a metal shop so i have been making my mods myself,shouldnt be long and i will get to try it out.
I've had a couple of cooks on mine. A few minor problems. Hard to stomach spending hundreds in mods on a grill that costs this much, so I'll approach them a little at a time and as needed.

bluball

Getting my pre seasoning done tonight,maybe i will get to cook something next week.Will be too busy this weekend,think im gonna like it.Anyone looking for one homedepot in jackson priced matched walmart.com and i saved alittle over $100 on it.
20220715-184333.jpg

bluball

Which model did you get?
Masterbuilt 560,i have cooked twice with it this week and really like it.I made a anti flare up burner cover with removeable clips so you can put a water/drippings pan on top of it,grate for ash bucket ,and fire box mod at work for it.

20220713-084939.jpg
20220713-084908.jpg
20220713-084904.jpg
20220714-094416.jpg

BigAl

Masterbuilt 560,i have cooked twice with it this week and really like it.I made a anti flare up burner cover with removeable clips so you can put a water/drippings pan on top of it,grate for ash bucket ,and fire box mod at work for it.

20220713-084939.jpg
20220713-084908.jpg
20220713-084904.jpg
20220714-094416.jpg
I as originally going to go with the MB800, for the room and also for the griddle that came with it. But switched to the 980 when I came across it. Looks like you have some mod skills. Very nice.