New Food Plot progress....*updated.....again*

JCDEERMAN

Re: New Food Plot progress....*updated*

:super:

Yours will be sprouted before I get mine in the ground. I'm aiming for 5/16 and hope weather cooperates. We will be spraying our wheat/clover/brassica mixture, then drilling soybeans right through it the next day. I'm interested in how your non RR beans and peas suppresses the weeds (since you can't spray)

DoubleRidge

One end of one plot did have some grass encroaching so I went ahead and hit it with some glysophate....but hoping with both new plots previously being timber maybe the weeds won't be too bad....time will tell I guess.....hoping our area gets the forecasted rain this evening....just hoping its not a washout.

DoubleRidge

Went this afternoon to check on beans and peas.....couldn't get to plot-2 due to a tree being down across road from recent storm and I didn't have the chainsaw with me.....but plot-1 is coming along good. Was glad to see the frost didn't get them.....these were planted 15 days ago......and so far the deer hadn't wiped them out....hoping they will leave them alone until they get up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_120023943~2.jpg
    IMG_20200517_120023943~2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 637

DoubleRidge

JCDEERMAN":104sed4q said:
:super:

Yours will be sprouted before I get mine in the ground. I'm aiming for 5/16 and hope weather cooperates. We will be spraying our wheat/clover/brassica mixture, then drilling soybeans right through it the next day. I'm interested in how your non RR beans and peas suppresses the weeds (since you can't spray)

Been meaning to post an update for a while now but work and various other projects have been crazy.....as for weed suppression....weeds in the larger plot we're not too bad but they were there....in the smaller of the two plots the weeds we're unacceptable to me....not really an issue with grass but more so broadleaf type weeds....but thankfully the beans, peas and sunflowers still continued to grow......and the deer are hammering both plots....I do regret never adding seclusion cages and will do that next year....couple weeks back the beans had flowers all over them but I hadn't been back to check progress......also we have sprayed six other plot areas we plan to sow the fall blend discussed in the food plot thread.

JCDEERMAN

Most of our plots got hammered to the point the weeds took over. Our biggest plot is about 60/40 beans/weeds. Each stalk has roughly 30-50 pods on them now. They are about waste high. But again - a lot of weeds. We will have some decision-making to do for fall plots in this field. Mow and spray, then plant......or spray, then plant. Everything is waste high with 60% beans. I want the beans there for the deer later this fall.

I highly suggest seclusion cages next year. Some of our plots are just weeds now, but when I look inside the seclusion cages, my goodness, the beans are above my belly-button.

Latest posts