Food Plots New Clover Herbicide??

tellico4x4

This stuff looks like a miracle herbicide for clover. Pricey but only takes 4 oz/acre. Can be sprayed as soon as done mowing as it works being absorbed into soil and being taken up by roots . Grasses, broadleaf & nutsedge! Anyone have any experience with?

tellico4x4

I don't know about that, hope Popcorn chimes in as I think he's forgotten more about it than I'll ever know 🍿!

I won't try it this year as sitting on lots $$ in 24DB, Basagran & Clethodim that I bought in January & haven't sprayed a drop yet.... Knee replacement in late March & other issues kept me from getting it done when it should have been. Now it's turned off too hot & dry really don't know when/if I'll do it. Right now I have to make minimum of two trips over plots. Once with 24DB/Basagran mixture, then another with Cleth. If Thunder would do it all ( or most) in one application I'd definitely give it a shot.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Ok, as I have never used or seen this product I am reading the label and there is a lot to consider. My first flag was the reference to drift. There is no direct drift statements but the drift precautions make this a high drift product. And like Dicamba it will lift on a temp inversion or rising fog and float unknown distances. Also note the angle of application not to exceed 45 degrees, this is to reduce blast and drift as well as not spraying into the wind but with the wind so the product has more time to fall out of the air column. So consider vulnerable crops in the vicinity.
Second flag comes from several different places in the label where reference is made to volume. Minimum application rate is 20 gallons per acre, ok no problem that's my standard rate but the more dense plants are the more rate per acre goes up. In chasing this it becomes clear that some plants will take it up via the leaf but others must take it up via root systems. This means a heavy stand of 12inch tall weeds with a solid canopy require a much higher rate of application and effectiveness will be reduced.
#3 Adjuvant required plus liquid nitrogen. Well if you don't use adjuvants you should but know their use. Crop oils are better for fuzzy leaf plants and glossy leaf plants. I prefer non-ionic surfactant on clover as the product is thinner and does not seem to stress clover. The liquid nitrogen is get the plants to take a big drink as they grow from the nitrogen infusion. This area is where we learn that it will not kill all weeds in clover but will reduce their ability to compete.
#4 only use 1 time per year. This tells me it remains in the soil for some period of time and an overdose can be harmful to legumes. Pursuit has this problem and is known to burn clover with one application and do significant damage if the clover is under stress.
#5 Do not graze for 30 days. I really become concerned here. Wildlife is gonna hit it within hours! How does a deer process these chemicals? Are you eating that? How about turkeys?? What is this going to do to poults, fertility
#6 2 states limit use to 4 oz per acre, at that rate over 50% of the weed chart is not killed only weakened. At the recommended rate of 6 oz more than 33% of common mid south problem weeds are only weakened not killed.
With what is listed above my final notes begin here. Add in the liquid fertilizer and the crop oil and the price per acre going go up
I would like to hear from someone who has used this and get first hand knowledge but there it is.
Until them I am a hard nope. Due to many factors

MickThompson

Not new, just generic Pursuit
Ok, as I have never used or seen this product I am reading the label and there is a lot to consider. My first flag was the reference to drift. There is no direct drift statements but the drift precautions make this a high drift product. And like Dicamba it will lift on a temp inversion or rising fog and float unknown distances. Also note the angle of application not to exceed 45 degrees, this is to reduce blast and drift as well as not spraying into the wind but with the wind so the product has more time to fall out of the air column. So consider vulnerable crops in the vicinity.
Second flag comes from several different places in the label where reference is made to volume. Minimum application rate is 20 gallons per acre, ok no problem that's my standard rate but the more dense plants are the more rate per acre goes up. In chasing this it becomes clear that some plants will take it up via the leaf but others must take it up via root systems. This means a heavy stand of 12inch tall weeds with a solid canopy require a much higher rate of application and effectiveness will be reduced.
#3 Adjuvant required plus liquid nitrogen. Well if you don't use adjuvants you should but know their use. Crop oils are better for fuzzy leaf plants and glossy leaf plants. I prefer non-ionic surfactant on clover as the product is thinner and does not seem to stress clover. The liquid nitrogen is get the plants to take a big drink as they grow from the nitrogen infusion. This area is where we learn that it will not kill all weeds in clover but will reduce their ability to compete.
#4 only use 1 time per year. This tells me it remains in the soil for some period of time and an overdose can be harmful to legumes. Pursuit has this problem and is known to burn clover with one application and do significant damage if the clover is under stress.
#5 Do not graze for 30 days. I really become concerned here. Wildlife is gonna hit it within hours! How does a deer process these chemicals? Are you eating that? How about turkeys?? What is this going to do to poults, fertility
#6 2 states limit use to 4 oz per acre, at that rate over 50% of the weed chart is not killed only weakened. At the recommended rate of 6 oz more than 33% of common mid south problem weeds are only weakened not killed.
With what is listed above my final notes begin here. Add in the liquid fertilizer and the crop oil and the price per acre going go up
I would like to hear from someone who has used this and get first hand knowledge but there it is.
Until them I am a hard nope. Due to many factors

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Not new, just generic Pursuit
Lol
After a 20 hour day I didn't fully get that part!
And like Pursuit limited use, (there are cool season weeds and hot season weeds) varied success, many variables for applications, guaranteed burn on clover and likely far worse damage if the clover is under stress.
I'll stick with my tried and true 2,4DB and clethodim.

Latest posts