Need some help....

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
My son was picked for a hunt in IL in early Oct youth shotgun hunt. He was assigned a hunting property that's 143 acres. They sent us the cords for where to park and a little info on the property. I've never hunted the Midwest or any flat land at that. We won't have time to scout before the hunt as we arrive till early afternoon on the first day of hunt. From the parking spots, where would be the first start the hunt? I would think that large ag field at the bottom left would be a great place to hunt, just not sure if we would be able to cross that large creek in the middle/western part. I figure we start on that first evening, only go in few hundred yards. Slowing working our way in deeper each hunt. Would you let your kid shoot any deer on the hunt or try to hold out on a 2.5 or older buck? How do you hunt flat land? This farm has a whopping 10' of elevation change. Any tips on were to start and places to hunt would be greatly appreciated.

1663674328920.png

Last edited:

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Any way you can find out whether the corn/beans will be out by then? In ag country that can make a world of difference in choosing where to set up shop.
Maybe, they gave me a game warden's contact info. I was thinking about giving him a call about the area. The info they sent said property is hardwoods and best hunting is in the open parts of the property.

Ski

The eastern half of the property shows a lot of habitat transition going from thicket to forest, probably an old timber harvest. In those small areas of elevation change would be my first place to look. Even though the land seems flat, deer will still use what topography they have the same way they do in hill country.

Next I'd have to check out those creeks, especially where the two intersect. The most promising spot I can see on the entire map is that "S" curve in the creek. There will almost always be a crossing in the middle of that "S". Furthermore, when they cross they have a climb the steepest part of the property up to the bean field just yards away. If you can get across the first creek to check out the stretch of ground between the "S" curve and the field, I like your odds. I'd bet it's a beaten trail. They have good high ground bedding in the woods up there with the protection of an ox bow. Pretty awesome property!

As for what the kid shoots, I'd him/her decide. It's all about fun. If the kid wants to shoot a deer and is excited, then go for it.

Specializedjon

Coming out of "sabbatical" to help a bra out. I'd hunt the yellow area, set up on the "x" if the wind is right. I'd guess they'd be bedding down in the think hardwoods and making their way to the field to feed. Looks like a good pinch point. My $.02. Good luck. Post pics regardless of the harvest results.

Attachments

• 1663674328920 (2).jpg
    1663674328920 (2).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 47

Omega

Looking at the available terrain, and this area was unscouted by me, I would setup to cover the V which would be likely avenues of approach through the open areas. The topo layer is off by a few meters (river and lines don't match), but I would look for large tree on a high point somewhere in the marked area. All this is dependent on what you see on the ground, if the area marked doesn't have openings or good visibility, I would setup where I could see these two areas the best.

Hunting Area.png

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Coming out of "sabbatical" to help a bra out. I'd hunt the yellow area, set up on the "x" if the wind is right. I'd guess they'd be bedding down in the think hardwoods and making their way to the field to feed. Looks like a good pinch point. My $.02. Good luck. Post pics regardless of the harvest results.
Thank you, that was one of the areas that I had put my onx to look into. It does seem there is lots of mature with logged areas.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
The eastern half of the property shows a lot of habitat transition going from thicket to forest, probably an old timber harvest. In those small areas of elevation change would be my first place to look. Even though the land seems flat, deer will still use what topography they have the same way they do in hill country.

Next I'd have to check out those creeks, especially where the two intersect. The most promising spot I can see on the entire map is that "S" curve in the creek. There will almost always be a crossing in the middle of that "S". Furthermore, when they cross they have a climb the steepest part of the property up to the bean field just yards away. If you can get across the first creek to check out the stretch of ground between the "S" curve and the field, I like your odds. I'd bet it's a beaten trail. They have good high ground bedding in the woods up there with the protection of an ox bow. Pretty awesome property!

As for what the kid shoots, I'd him/her decide. It's all about fun. If the kid wants to shoot a deer and is excited, then go for it.
I was thinking that oxbow of the creek north of the ag field would be great to hunt.

He will be 12 in Nov, but he's killed 11 deer already. I'm good with him shooting any deer, but didn't want to drive 7 hours and he shoot a doe with in a first hour or 2 of the hunt. I've not done any really outstate hunts, so I didn't know if he should wait some and try to kill a buck. If we come home empty handed but seen deer, he would be happy.

tellico4x4

Lots good suggestions on where to hunt. As far as what to shoot, only you & son can make that choice. Have a lot of out of state trips under my belt and I always go with the mantra of "don't pass an animal today that you would kill at end of hunt". Set realistic expectations and be ready to shoot when you see one that meets those expectations regardless if it is day 1 or 10. Also keep in mind that the bucks you will be hunting in early October are totally different than they will be a month later so plan accordingly.
Good luck!

ImThere

How long is the hunt? If you arrive afternoon the first day I would scout the rest of the day. Gun in hand for a spot for the next morning. Heavily consider their information on the property since they have history with it.
I agree with what others have posted about areas, I hunt similar to what ski stated. I would also spend time in the circle where it says 400ft close to the at field on the far left of the pic. I would think there would be a staging area there prior to entering the fields.
Sweet property. IMHO. You could probably cover 150 acres quickly if it's relatively flat.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
How long is the hunt? If you arrive afternoon the first day I would scout the rest of the day. Gun in hand for a spot for the next morning. Heavily consider their information on the property since they have history with it.
I agree with what others have posted about areas, I hunt similar to what ski stated. I would also spend time in the circle where it says 400ft close to the at field on the far left of the pic. I would think there would be a staging area there prior to entering the fields.
Sweet property. IMHO. You could probably cover 150 acres quickly if it's relatively flat.
I was thinking it was Fri-Sun, but it's actually Sat-Mon. We will arrive on Friday about 3 (2 cst). We will look around and make a plan for Saturday. We will only hunt till 11 on Sunday before we head home.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
I would hunt just about where your crosshair cursor is. In that strip between field and creek. I'd also let him shoot whatever makes him happy.

kamml

Deer are creatures that love the edges of their habitat. That is where I would start to hunt. Look for signs around or just inside the edges, go early stay late.

Latest posts