Need helps on a kids scope

PickettSFHunter

Picket, have your child practice at the house by closing one eye acquiring their target through a drinking straw. Give them objects to find through the straw....This will show them that there is one angle/distance from the "scope" that allows them to view what's on the other side with the greatest detail. Then, loosen the rings on the rifle and get them to shoulder it comfortably on a bench.... have them pretend the scope is the drinking straw and you can adjust eye relief to get the proper fitting..... If your child can do it with a drinking straw, they should be able to figure out the scope. Just my 2 cents.
Very interesting. Thank you!

Tenntrapper

A word of advice on scout scopes. We've all had sun glare on the objective lens, but glare on the ocular end is a whole nother animal. Since the scope is set farther out, if the sun is behind you, it WILL glare. I finally gave up on a scout configuration, for this sole reason.

TheLBLman

Another perspective:

It may be we're asking too much for someone so young to become quickly adept with a traditional riflescope, regardless the magnification or eye relief?

My thinking is it may be better to start them out with a red dot optic (personal preference being a Burris Fastfire), while teaching them to hunt with close-range opportunities. Unlike the traditional scope, eye relief, cheek weld, etc. are of little consequence.

The initial focus can then be more on just learning how to hunt and make clean kills instead of the more technical aspects of scope usage.

Along with this, practice target shooting with a traditional scope on a .22 (or even an air rifle). Over time, they will become more adept with using that traditional riflescope, and can "graduate" to it with the hunting guns.

The best answer to the original question may be just TIME
as he will learn how to use the scope over time.

PickettSFHunter

As an update since I saw this brought to the top....the boy did halfway figure out the night vision scope back in April. I would say it's more like a video game than a traditional scope though. He shot this boar in the shoulder at about 75 yards.

Attachments

• D33956F0-9044-4EAD-9CF9-1686D24E529D.png
    D33956F0-9044-4EAD-9CF9-1686D24E529D.png
    465.2 KB · Views: 77

Andy S.

The issue he is having is just getting his eye in the right spot to see through a scope. I've tried a lot of different lengths of pull but still is having trouble.
I finally found a scope that claims to offer GENEROUS eye relief that could prove beneficial for kids. The Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout Scope. 9.45" of eye relief, plex reticle, and a fair price ($150) for an introductory/kids scope. Reviews I have read have been favorable.

Last edited:

skipperbrown

The issue he is having is just getting his eye in the right spot to see through a scope. I've tried a lot of different lengths of pull but still is having trouble.
Before going any further, is it possible he is left eye dominant? If so, it will make it difficult to see through the scope on a gun set up for right handed shooters.

PillsburyDoughboy

My sons first scope we went with a Red Dot. Mainly so we avoided alot of the problems with eye relief and dealing with traditional cross hair issues. Just put the dot on the deer and shoot. As he got older we upgraded to a Traditional Scope and never looked back.

PillsburyDoughboy

I bought my 6 year old a Ruger American Compact in 350 LGND. He has trouble with scopes but we are practicing and I'm hopeful he will be better by next deer season. I'm looking for a scope that would be the easiest for him to get the eye relief right on. Would any of these Scout model scopes with generous eye relief work? I have never used one. He has used a red dot and is fine with that, but just looking ahead, I know he needs to learn to use a scope. Any advice appreciated. Thank you
I responded above about Red Dots but I went back and re-read your post a bit deeper and realized this was for a 6 year old. A 6 year old I would definitely stick with the red dot and keep it simple. Having to explain cross hairs and adjusting to eye relief in a traditional scope can be problematic for alot of up and coming shooters and I especially see that in younger shooters.

Something that needs to be addressed first and foremost is the stock on that rifle. I am not sure what Length of Pull that came from the factory but I can tell you right now compact or no compact at 6 years old the Length of pull is way to long for him. If you are dead set on a traditional scope getting the correct length of pull on the stock will make a HUGE difference in the way he can adjust to the rifle and the scope.

My sons first rifle at the age of 9 was a TC contender and we had the stock adjusted to 12 inch length of pull. Pretty darn short. When he got older we had the factory one put back on. You could do the same thing with the Ruger. Just put a spacer in when he gets older.

As for the question about Scout Scopes. The scout concept is a great concept for young and first time shooters. It needs a Caveat though. It must be built correctly. With that said if its built correctly its going to be lightweight and have somewhat of a kick if in proper caliber. Also going to be a bit muzzle heavy having the Scout scope on the barrel. Although if its built properly it should be fairly balanced. Most Scout builds I have seen don't feel balanced. Only a few turn out correctly. If you were thinking about putting a Scout Scope in the traditional spot on a conventional Rifle. It won't work. It needs to be out around the area where the rear sight would be on a rifle. Scout scopes are basically pistol scopes in terms of eye relief.

Address the stock first . This will save you a lot of money.

scn

If you can find it, look for one of the older Leupold low magnification scopes with a HEAVY DUPLEX reticle. They made them in a 2x7x33, and (I think) in a 1.5x4x20.

That reticle helps to naturally center the crosshairs.

I have seen some listed on eBay. Unfortunately, they sell used for almost as much as they did new. But, they are quality old Leupold glass.

Latest posts