Need help please

270MONTS

I'm wanting to do a garden this year. I have never done one myself but have helped dad when I was a kid. Am I too late? What can I still plant. Wanting to do some tomatoes corn carrots and any other recommendations. Thanks I'm advance.

Omega

I'm wanting to do a garden this year. I have never done one myself but have helped dad when I was a kid. Am I too late? What can I still plant. Wanting to do some tomatoes corn carrots and any other recommendations. Thanks I'm advance.
Not late at all, but it will cost you. I just looked at the bonnie plants and most are about $5. I now use a germination station like this one (different brand) to start mine from seed, usually get good results, this time they have become leggy, so will have to be careful on replanting them. Maybe if you can find a place that sells plants from the Amish or the like, they have much better prices.
iu

Jcalder

I would find an alternative to Bonnie plants. They set their own pricing and are rather ridiculous compared to others. I will agree, right now is still a good time to plant. Should still have plenty of moisture in the ground and the temps are finally right.

backyardtndeer

We usually shoot for around the middle of April for planting. Later than I like to plant now, but you could do ok. I would check a local nursery for plants, many grow their own plants.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Amish green houses around Cadiz ky have lots of plants at about 1/3 price of Lowe's.
I know folks don't start planting till may 15 and will plant into June. I plant 2nd crop potatoes 4th of July weekend.
Most corns take 110 days and a lot of farmers will still be planting June 1st

WTM

not too late for warm season crops. carrots will need to wait until fall. you can have a fall crops of lettuce, carrots along with turnup greens and kale.

corn, green beans, crook neck/straight yellow squash, zuchini, cukes, tomatoes, all peppers, egg plants, melons, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. the only slips needed are tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and sweet potatoes. the rest are grown from direct seed planting in the garden. the greenhouse up the street from me sells them for $1/plant.

dont forget the herbs and flowers. ie, marigolds are great border insect deterrents as are basil around tomatoes. a summer tomato salad with basil is pretty awesome.

keep in mind when you plant them to pay attention to where you plant them in relation to each other. this is called companion planting because plants will attract pests that will kill or damage other plants. also every year rotate your planting locations, ie plant summer squash on the other side of the garden feom where you planted the year before. the reason for this is that pests affecting the plants will burrow in the ground over winter and attack the new plants. this breaks their life cycle. also in fall do a garden cleanup and put debris in the compost pile, except for tomatoe vines, they go in the trash.

companion plant chart

backyardtndeer

Check to see if local high school has an ag greenhouse program, they usually sell plants and you support the ffa program
Good point. The high school my youngest daughter goes to sells plants.

You got plenty of time. You can plant corn up until July 4 if you get rain.
lol. I like my corn to be ready for picking by the 4th of July. Should be right on target this year.
20220519_125459-1.jpg

Terrier

I've waited longer than I ever have to plant this year... It was time to replenish the little pickled snack peppers this year. Last time I grew them, (2017) I was on the 7th picking before I get tired of picking and canning and pulled them all up in late September. I haven't run out of peppers yet, but they were getting a little wanky after 5 years in the jars. Already dumped 4 cases of quarts and saved one case to last a little while. 24 plants was too many! I'd get 4 gallons + of them per picking, so gonna scale back a bit this time.

TNTreeman

Good point. The high school my youngest daughter goes to sells plants.

lol. I like my corn to be ready for picking by the 4th of July. Should be right on target this year.
View attachment 137160
Lookin good, mines right behind that. You can get another planting in too but it's usually wormy. I plant 4-6 acres for hunting in late June. Rain makes or breaks me.

Nimrod777

Heck, you can still plant some by seed. Look at the time needed until harvest, on the back of the package generally. As long as you have that much time before first frost, you're ok. I didn't get my garden in this year until Memorial Day weekend. Isn't the first time, either.

But definitely be thinking about what cool weather crops you might want to plant, stuff for a Fall garden. You're a little ahead of the game for that, and you can redeem yourself nicely. Just tell the neighbors how you are currently enriching your soil for a strong Fall planting! :D