Need advice: Your favorite fish to bake?

green doe

The Red Snapper thread has gotten me to thinking...

I love Friday fish fries (cod or walleye) and my husband will eat fried perch every 6th Friday or so. But I'd like to eat more healthy fish at home. What is your favorite fish to bake? Would you suggest it to two people that can tolerate fish but don't love fish?

Or if you have another way to make fish in a healthy (i.e. not fried) way, what is it?

I really appreciate any helpful suggestions.

jb3

baked some sea bass a while back with a mustard caper sauce (one of those emeril recp) that turned out really good. can't go wrong with salmon, just make sure it's wild and not farm raised.

TrailWatcher

Try Halibut grilled is best but for people that do not like fish
this is could be a turning point for ya,,,, I got some last year at our local fresh fish market (the owner loves deer meat so we do a little trading) and my son loved it. So the next thing I knew he had traded a whole deer for a bunch of Halibut.

FULLDRAWXX75

Gdoe,

I will reply later tonight, I am at work now, but I prepare fish at least one night a week. I have several really good (well to me they are) dishes and sides.

FDXX75

JSassassin

jb3 said:
baked some sea bass a while back with a mustard caper sauce (one of those emeril recp) that turned out really good. can't go wrong with salmon, just make sure it's wild and not farm raised.

i have had my share of wild even caught myself salmon, but the farm raised is just as good and now some places even have organic salmon wit is awesome..it has twice the omega 3 as any other salmon=very healthy...take any salmon and put it in a foil boat with a little butter and your seasoning of choice and put it on the grill with a little bit of cherry wood on the coals right before you put it on..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

JimFromTN

My favorite is a toss up between grouper and tuna. I love blackenned grouper sandwiches but I also love a good seared tuna served rare. Sometimes you can get sashimi/sushi grade tuna for around $5 a pound at Harris Teeter. For the price, you can't beat tilapia either. The only issue I have with tilapia is that it is so thin and mild that if you are not careful, its really easy to over season. I don't care for salmon because I have had it cooked badly more times than I have had it cooked well. Allot of times it has to do with how fresh it is. I have had some king salmon that my brother caught in AK and it was fantastic. The meat was white.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Halibut or cod. But here is a recipe that we love and healthy, too.

Little evoo and alittle butter.
Sautee the trinity-chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper and chopped celery. About a cup of each. Add mined garlic to taste.

I like a little fresh basil and a little oregano. When they get happy, add a little chopped tomatoe. Then lay fillets on top, we use Talapia a lot and add one half cup of white wine. Cover skillet and cook for about four minutes. The wine is secret. But season to taste. I use Tony Chachere Cajun seasoning but just lightly.

Serve the veggies over rice and side with grilled apsaragus. I think he'll eat this. It is one of our favorite dishes and real easy to fix. Just be carefull not to overcook. You want your veggies crispy and your fish just flaking.

Now you can do the exact same dish with dead chicken, just put it in the oven at 375 once you put the lid on. Cook for about an hour and serve the same way.

green doe

jssblues said:
i have had my share of wild even caught myself salmon, but the farm raised is just as good and now some places even have organic salmon wit is awesome..
Isn't all salmon organic? I mean, it is a carbon-based life form. :D

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Keep 'em coming!

A

Anonymous

Flounder is Fantastic!! Give this recipe a shot.. bet you like it...

Stuffed Flounder

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, cut up
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic 1/2 cup unseasoned dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound flounder fillets
1/4 cup white wine or nonalcoholic white wine
1/2 tablespoon parsley
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350�F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is opaque. Remove to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs and cheese and stir to combine.
Place the flounder on a work surface. Evenly divide the shrimp mixture among the fillets, spreading almost to the edge. Roll the fillets from a short end to enclose the filling. Secure with wooden picks. Place the rolls in a 13" x 9" baking dish. Pour the wine into the dish. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.

JimFromTN

flintlock said:
Flounder is Fantastic!! Give this recipe a shot.. bet you like it...

Stuffed Flounder

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, cut up
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic 1/2 cup unseasoned dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound flounder fillets
1/4 cup white wine or nonalcoholic white wine
1/2 tablespoon parsley
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350�F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is opaque. Remove to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs and cheese and stir to combine.
Place the flounder on a work surface. Evenly divide the shrimp mixture among the fillets, spreading almost to the edge. Roll the fillets from a short end to enclose the filling. Secure with wooden picks. Place the rolls in a 13" x 9" baking dish. Pour the wine into the dish. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.

I got to get me some flounder. I have done something like this with grouper but you can't roll it up so I have made like a sandwich with the stuffing between the pieces of fish. Or maybe take WTM's blackenned fish and plop a scoop of stuffing on it and then make a white wine sauce out of white wine, cream, flour, and garlic and pour it over the top of it. Sprinkle parsley and a dash of the blackenning spice over the top.

fishboy1

The key is to get FRESH fish.
Smell it. It can smell slightly salty but not fishy. If it smells chlorinated...RUN>

Lightly press your finger into the fillet. It should indent slightly but come back to its original shape. If the indention stays, the fillet is old and getting mushy.

For baking I like a fish that has a bit of firmness.
Very thin fish is hard to bake as it will either overcook and become dry, or be too wet and mushy.

Any very fresh fish with fillets 1/2" thick or better work pretty well.

Try this.

Parmesian walnut crusted Walleye.

Take FRESH walleye fillets that are at least 1/2" thick, skinned and rinsed.
Pat dry with paper towel.

Dip in eggwash or milk.

Roll in mixture of 75% parmesian cheese adn 25% toasted chopped walnuts until evenly coated.
Add a couple cranks of fresh ground black pepper & a sprinkle of granulated garlic.
Add a couple grates of lemon zest (optional)

Put a splash of olive oil in a non stick skillet and lightly fry using medium heat on both sides until golden brown and fish flakes easily. About 5-7 minutes on the first side, and 4-6 minutes on the second.

Don't add salt as the cheese gives a salty flavor.

Serve with spinach sauteed with garlic and black pepper. Just before you plate the spinach, add about a table spoon of Balsamic vinegar to the skillet and toss.

Now thats some good stuff YA!

JimFromTN

I could eat that one too

Not that it needs anything at all but pour a little marinara sauce over it and call it walleye parmesian

A

Anonymous

I love Salmon also.. We catch a ton of them up here!! One of my favorite ways of cooking them is to take a Big Fillet and lay it on some Alum. foil..then take a few pats of butter and spread around it..Italian seasoning(the Dry Kind) tomatoes..green pepper diced..onions diced..and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over it.. wrap it up in the Alum. foil and throw on the grill for 20-25 minutes..Now that is some good eating there!!

moondawg

I like to do this with trout or bass.

Put the filet in some aluminum foil with a pat of butter. Season filet with lemon pepper or cajun seasoning. Add a slice of lemon and the aluminum foil up. Place on a bed of charcoal (or embers from a fire) for about 7 minutes on one side and 6 minutes on the other.

My wife has never had bass cooked that way, but loved it when I made some at the inlaws.

Latest posts