Need advice....Cam Placement....

Savage Shooter

I have 2 trail cams. When is the best time to put them out. I read on here about folks putting them out in early summer over TR or Mineral blocks.....Feeders etc. I found a couple of travel routes during season and put them out, but only got a small handful of pics. I figure they were put out too late. I'm thinking of puting out mineral licks close to travel routes on old stumps on ridges. then place cams within about 20 foot or so. I have realized that the cams have a slow trigger, about 2 to 3 seconds. I am new to the trail cam community and would like anyones input about this.

Shed Hunter

As far as time goes right now is one of the most common trail cam times. Set them out near a good trail with a bait of some sort by it and you should get pics. Once they drop their antlers I wait until August to put them back out.

BSK

You can run trail-cams at any time of year. However, most camera users are interested in the number and size of bucks using their hunting property. That is best determined in summer and fall (bucks will lose their antlers at some point during the winter or early spring).

With a slow trigger-time camera, you will need some type of attractant to hold the deer in one spot until the cameras trigger. This usually means a food source or a salt lick (as well as scrapes during hunting season). Food sources work best now, during the low natural food source time of winter. Salt licks can work very well in spring through summer (although not everyone has success with salt licks).

Trails will not be a good location for a cam with a 2-3 second trigger. During the winter, any food source will be usueful, from food plots, to honeysuckle patches, to any localized feeding area. Many camera users pour corn on the ground to attract deer in front of the camera. However, there are health risks associated with doing so. On the other hand, the health risks from feeding corn are lowest during the winter.

Good time Charlie

I am pulling mine the next check ,do maintenance,and get them back out early spring.
This cold weather will eat battery's like nothing else.
And on them cold blustery days you will have something to do,maintenance on your cams,always a wire needing soldered or some shrink tubing needed.
But some of the Hardy ones get their best pics. in the winter.

By spring I hope to be running 20 cams ,that in itself is enough to keep you busy.

Latest posts