NBA contract

RobbyW

I am not a NBA fan but I did see a headline today that Jaylen Brown signed a contract extension today. 5 years, $303.7 million. So if I did my Arkansas education math that works out to:
$60,740,000 a year
$740,731 a game
He averaged 27 points a game last year, 19 for his career, but let's give him the 27 points a game

He would earn $27,434 per point!

You would think this has to top out at some point

batten_down

The new normal. In my opinion, he's underpaid. Way underpaid. If you make the big time, you belong to a different class of people. I won't be satisfied until they're all making a billion or more. And every man, woman, and child can recite their stat line from the night before.

(Meanwhile, how many members here can name their local elected official without looking? One in ten? Utterly embarrassing)

batten_down

He'll likely be receiving reparations at some point too. Let that sink in.

As long as these idiots keep watching those rich thugs run up and down a court while sipping their $17 White Claw, they'll keep getting paid like that.
Careful. That's a hot take, and you'll step on some toes here. The membership likes their sportsball.

TNTreeman

There is no way there is enough NBA " fans" to support the payroll. Has to be foreign money- China , shoes and clothing etc . I just don't think viewership and individual ticket sales are that great. Corporate sponsorship must help feed the beast.

BMan

There is no way there is enough NBA " fans" to support the payroll. Has to be foreign money- China , shoes and clothing etc . I just don't think viewership and individual ticket sales are that great. Corporate sponsorship must help feed the beast.

The great majority of sports $$ is television revenue. Don't know how much it is in the NBA, but the NFL number is staggering.

batten_down

Honest question: Why does it bother you so much that people like sports? If you watch tv shows or movies, or listen to music there's a very good chance you are supporting woke liberal trash.
I love sports. People that like sports don't bother me at all.

But there are alternative ways to scratch that itch. Supporting woke leagues (nfl, mlb, nba, nhl - they've all bent the knee) that advance political ideologies in contrast to our own, is ludicrous. People on here don't want to read about this; I've talked about it enough and -contrary to belief- I can read the room, my position has earned me zero friends here I assure you. I've been beating this drum for a while though with no regrets. Look at the nfl's advertising list. We could've sent a huge message with the bud lite treatment. Bizarrely though, most pro sports remain off limits. Guys get their drawers bunched in a hurry. I can go into as much detail as necessary since you asked but hopefully answered your question.

I will add that I was a lifelong bills fan. Rabid college football fan. Fantasy leagues. Roadtrips to see games in bucketlist cities; etc. Same with mlb. Nba not quite to the same level of Fandom, but watched a lot during Jordan years. Legitimately don't miss any of it.

As far as the music and TV thing, I don't watch much at all. Very little. And you've tried to make that point before, but I don't consume a lot of that stuff. For example, two of my favorite bands -Pearl Jam and GNR- they got too political. I don't listen to them anymore. Won't spend another dime to go see them or buy their stuff.

Spurhunter

I love sports. People that like sports don't bother me at all.

But there are alternative ways to scratch that itch. Supporting woke leagues (nfl, mlb, nba, nhl - they've all bent the knee) that advance political ideologies in contrast to our own, is ludicrous. People on here don't want to read about this; I've talked about it enough and -contrary to belief- I can read the room, my position has earned me zero friends here I assure you. I've been beating this drum for a while though with no regrets. Look at the nfl's advertising list. We could've sent a huge message with the bud lite treatment. Bizarrely though, most pro sports remain off limits. Guys get their drawers bunched in a hurry. I can go into as much detail as necessary since you asked but hopefully answered your question.

I will add that I was a lifelong bills fan. Rabid college football fan. Fantasy leagues. Roadtrips to see games in bucketlist cities; etc. Same with mlb. Nba not quite to the same level of Fandom, but watched a lot during Jordan years. Legitimately don't miss any of it.

As far as the music and TV thing, I don't watch much at all. Very little. And you've tried to make that point before, but I don't consume a lot of that stuff. For example, two of my favorite bands -Pearl Jam and GNR- they got too political. I don't listen to them anymore. Won't spend another dime to go see them or buy their stuff.
I've been a rabid St. Louis Cardinal fan all my life. Until they came out in Black Lives Matter shirts in 2020 or 2021. I turned it off and I haven't watched or followed them since. Baseball is my game. I've loved it since I was knee high. I watch college baseball now. I've never cared for the NBA at all. I was just getting into hockey and watching some NHL when they started their crap. I've never cared for the NFL. Never even watched the Super Bowl for decades. But I figured out a couple years ago the NFL was the only sports gambling I could win at consistently and make money on. Even though I use a handicapping service to pick the games I still pay attention to what's going on. College sports are getting woker every year. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand.

batten_down

I've been a rabid St. Louis Cardinal fan all my life. Until they came out in Black Lives Matter shirts in 2020 or 2021. I turned it off and I haven't watched or followed them since. Baseball is my game. I've loved it since I was knee high. I watch college baseball now. I've never cared for the NBA at all. I was just getting into hockey and watching some NHL when they started their crap. I've never cared for the NFL. Never even watched the Super Bowl for decades. But I figured out a couple years ago the NFL was the only sports gambling I could win at consistently and make money on. Even though I use a handicapping service to pick the games I still pay attention to what's going on. College sports are getting woker every year. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand.
It's out of hand brother. There's transvestites on the sidelines. These aren't the same leagues we grew up on.

Bud lite is down between 25-33% depending in who you believe because of one can of beer. The nfl is exponentially worse on a couple different fronts and we dont/can't talk about it. Don't you find that odd? Why do you think that is?

Latest posts