Native Warm Season Grasses

MossyOakLandman

I have two plots that I didn't plant this past fall( I was experimenting to see how the deer travel patterns would change) and I am considering trying to establish NWSG on them. My primary goal is to create more turkey nesting sites. What species could anyone with experience recommend? I am thinking about little bluestem.

bigtex

If I was wanting mostly cover I would go with switchgrass. I don't think little bluestem would give as much cover as switchgrass but wildlife might utilize it more than switchgrass as a food source.
Either would work for your intended purpose IMO.

MossyOakLandman

TY... I have been looking at some of the mixes. From what i have read, you want some of the forbs mixed in to attract the bugs and thus the turkeys. It has warmed here so fast, I think now, I am going to wait till next year to plant. I'll spend the next year working on getting the weeds out.

bigtex

MossyOakLandman said:
TY... I have been looking at some of the mixes. From what i have read, you want some of the forbs mixed in to attract the bugs and thus the turkeys. It has warmed here so fast, I think now, I am going to wait till next year to plant. I'll spend the next year working on getting the weeds out.
Yes, turkeys certainly like the "bugs" lol. I spent a couple of hours yesterday sitting in a shooting house overlooking a 3/4 acre food plot, just to see what was coming in to feed. Sure enough a flock of 10-12 hens came in and started chassing what looked like grasshoppers. This plot is mostly a mix of clovers and orchard grass. Not much eats the orchard grass but it is a good place for the insects to hide in. FYI, don't rule out "weeds" some are a very good source of cover and food. In fact the deer on my place PREFER the weeds over wheat and clover, lol. That is why when I eventually get my two clear cuts done I am going to let it regenerate naturally, hopefully in warm season grasses.

TRHC

I planted quite a bit of NWSGs for our landowner a few years ago. I was instructed by our NRCS personnell to wait until late May or early June. It was fairly hot and dry by that time. It's certainly not too late for you to plant. It's actually early from my experience. If you go with NWSGs, be prepared for your fields to be mostly dirt for the first year or two (adding forbs may help). NWSGs are very slow to establish and your plots may look like a total failure the first year. Give it time and you will be well pleased. Our mix was switchgrass and Indian grass. The deer love to bed in it and the quail and turkeys nest there. TRHC.

MossyOakLandman

TRHC said:
I planted quite a bit of NWSGs for our landowner a few years ago. I was instructed by our NRCS personnell to wait until late May or early June. It was fairly hot and dry by that time. It's certainly not too late for you to plant. It's actually early from my experience. If you go with NWSGs, be prepared for your fields to be mostly dirt for the first year or two (adding forbs may help). NWSGs are very slow to establish and your plots may look like a total failure the first year. Give it time and you will be well pleased. Our mix was switchgrass and Indian grass. The deer love to bed in it and the quail and turkeys nest there. TRHC.

I know it's not to late yet. the mixes I have been looking at have a recommended planting date up to three weeks after the last killing frost. Normally the last killing frost is about two weeks ago here. The seed is so expensive, I want to make sure do it right. Also, everything i have read, weed control is critical, I felt a repeated cycle of round-up and disking this summer would take care of the unwanted weeds. Here is the mix i have been considering, i would like your opinion. https://www.roundstoneseed.com/mix.asp?p=53

Thanks,

Al

Latest posts