After season project

puppy

One of our leases has an overabundance of cover due to a lot of overgrown fields, saplings and cedar and pine thickets. My partner and I are considering a plan to bushhog ~3.8 acres of one of the overgrown field areas as soon as season is over and cut some 20-30 ft high cedars scattered in the area to open it up enough to allow more deer sightings. We will leave the patches of sumac saplings and other small trees just bushhogging around or over them. Attached is rough outline of what we want to do, circles are proposed stand sites for E or W winds and the purple areas are 2 old plots and trail connecting them that will probably bring back with WW for next fall in both plots and the trail. Depending on the amount of the cedars we drop we are also considering using the cut trees to funnel deer through the area as the reason we let the plots go was never knew where the deer would show up from as they tend to pop out of the thickets at random places (normally downwind):mad:. Normally kill at least one mature buck per year off lease but with it being so thick actual deer sightings are low, although trail cams show a good population using our plots (do not actually hunt any plots to keep from spooking deer) and have another lease that is not connected but within 3/4 mile that has 3-4 times the actual sightings but is not near as thick. WHAT AM I MISSING??

1671639833407.png
)

Ski

One of our leases has an overabundance of cover due to a lot of overgrown fields, saplings and cedar and pine thickets. My partner and I are considering a plan to bushhog ~3.8 acres of one of the overgrown field areas as soon as season is over and cut some 20-30 ft high cedars scattered in the area to open it up enough to allow more deer sightings. We will leave the patches of sumac saplings and other small trees just bushhogging around or over them. Attached is rough outline of what we want to do, circles are proposed stand sites for E or W winds and the purple areas are 2 old plots and trail connecting them that will probably bring back with WW for next fall in both plots and the trail. Depending on the amount of the cedars we drop we are also considering using the cut trees to funnel deer through the area as the reason we let the plots go was never knew where the deer would show up from as they tend to pop out of the thickets at random places (normally downwind):mad:. Normally kill at least one mature buck per year off lease but with it being so thick actual deer sightings are low, although trail cams show a good population using our plots (do not actually hunt any plots to keep from spooking deer) and have another lease that is not connected but within 3/4 mile that has 3-4 times the actual sightings but is not near as thick. WHAT AM I MISSING??

I like adding a plot in the far west corner on that northern half of the property. Cut shoulder width zig-zaggy trails connecting all the plots and set your stands up to hunt the trails, not the plots. Having mock scrapes and/or small openings planted with clover or grain along those trails will act as staging areas where deer will hold up a few minutes before stepping out in or out of the bigger plots at darkness. Not only will you not blow out your big plots because you're not hunting them, but also will likely get much better daylight activity in the small staging plots. It will also help dictate a more predictable travel pattern.

Also if you have no creek or pond very, very nearby I'd seriously consider adding a water tank or two. Put them on the same shoulder width travel corridors that you connect the plots with, but do not put them inside the small staging plots. Keep them at least 100yds or further from any plot and hang a stand or two to watch them. That will create yet another spot where deer will stop in daylight, offering you a shot opportunity. Might even look into having a mineral site near one of the water holes. Mineral and water go together like peanut butter & jelly. I understand that deer do not technically need a water source, but the folks who dismiss water tanks are the ones who haven't used them to see how much use they get. They work. They work exceptionally well where deer don't have a creek or pond in the immediate area.

The travel corridors make for defined movement that is more predictable & less sporadic. By hunting the travel corridors you aren't blowing out your major food sources. When you hunt a plot you're hunting deer in a spot where deer congregate to spend a lot of time. They feel more vulnerable there than any other time.And when you spook them off that source once or twice they get very leery of it going forward, and teach their young to be leery of it. While traveling to & from they are less congregated so if you blow one out the others don't know it. They're also inside cover so they'll feel less vulnerable, which means your odds of seeing them in daylight is increased.

That's how I approach habitat and hunting. Being primarily a bow hunter I have to be right up close & personal to shoot a deer. If you're primarily gun hunting then your approach might be much simpler. I do hunt food sources when using a rifle because I can sit 100yds or more away and be completely undetected. So I suppose how I set a property up would depend largely on how I planned to hunt it. That said, being thick like you describe, you might still want to define their travel patterns in some way so you can predictably see more deer.

megalomaniac

You are missing hunting the road itself to the NW of your proposed cut. That's a slam dunk if deer are in the area, and roads themselves are often the most overlooked and underhunted spots on a property

BSK

...and roads themselves are often the most overlooked and underhunted spots on a property
Make a road, and deer will follow it. I don't know why they do so, but deer will follow any man-made path, even if that path doesn't follow the easiest route. I bet the majority of bucks I've killed were walking down an old, abandoned log-skidder road when I killed them. They are absolute hotspots.

DoubleRidge

Make a road, and deer will follow it. I don't know why they do so, but deer will follow any man-made path, even if that path doesn't follow the easiest route. I bet the majority of bucks I've killed were walking down an old, abandoned log-skidder road when I killed them. They are absolute hotspots.

Totally agree and in addition to logging or skidder roads....in waist or head high briars we will bush hog long strips where we would like deer to travel.....and not only will they follow the path but as the path starts to grow back they will feed along the way....but for whatever reason.... creating "edge" or "habitat transition areas" always seems to be a good thing.....once or twice a year I'll also run the bush hog down the logging roads to keep them open.

Ski

That's precisely why I cut trails for deer. I found that whenever I'd cut trails for myself to easily/quietly access stands, deer would begin using them, which would ruin that stand site. I figured if they would that then perhaps they'd use trails if I cut them to pass in front of my stands. And by golly they do.

One particular trail stands out because in the last three years I've shot at three mature bucks in the same exact spot on trail I cut. Killed two and flat missed one. I had to cut a gap through a dead fall, removing a few feet of the log. Over top of that gap I bowed over a tall sapling and tied the top to another bush on the other side of the gap, then hung a vine from it to dangle right across the center of that gap. Sure enough they turned it into a scrape and now it's the hottest spot on the property. No food plots or minerals or water holes or any other habitat enhancement for hundreds of yards any direction. Just a chainsaw, a few inches of paracord, and 10 minutes of time is what it took to create the very best habitat "enhancement" I've ever personally experienced.

1671813955835.png

1671814132748.png

1671814254716.png

1671814984210.png

BSK

It must be innate in deer to follow paths/trails, for whatever reason. I grew up on a farm halfway between Bowling Green and Scottsville, KY. We had a big pasture in front of the house. When we would get snow, we would cross-country ski through the pasture. I noticed that the day after we would ski, there would be deer tracks right in our ski path, and the deer would go wherever we had skied, even if we weren't really going anywhere. I began testing just how "out of the way" deer would go to stay in the ski path. I would cross the pasture, making huge S-bends and sweeping turns for no reason. Sure enough, the deer would go wherever I had gone. Again, it must be innate in deer to follow where others have gone.

Ski

It must be innate in deer to follow paths/trails, for whatever reason. I grew up on a farm halfway between Bowling Green and Scottsville, KY. We had a big pasture in front of the house. When we would get snow, we would cross-country ski through the pasture. I noticed that the day after we would ski, there would be deer tracks right in our ski path, and the deer would go wherever we had skied, even if we weren't really going anywhere. I began testing just how "out of the way" deer would go to stay in the ski path. I would cross the pasture, making huge S-bends and sweeping turns for no reason. Sure enough, the deer would go wherever I had gone. Again, it must be innate in deer to follow where others have gone.

Hahaha that's funny. Reminds me of the Jack Links commercials where people mess with sasquatch.

I wonder why they do it? Reckon they're searching for whatever it was that drove you to create that trail? Investigating? Or is just in their DNA as herd animals to do it, much like sheep follow the leader no matter what?

Growing up around a bunch of family farms I always noticed that cattle paths through pastures, especially on hills, were well defined because they got used over & over & over. Cows would single file line down that one trail rather than spread out. I see the same phenomenon in the woods with deer, albeit not as prominent as with cattle.

puppy

Thanks for all the replies, I been out of touch for a little while but going to get started in a couple weeks after Juvi

Latest posts