My opening weekend

RowdyVol

I went out Saturday morning before the rain and did not hear a thing. For the rest of the day I went out in between down pours and around 4:30 I finally found a bird who wanted to play. I got greedy by trying to get too close and when I was about to set up I saw him making a quiet retreat. I slipped out trying not to pressure him any more hoping he would roost close by.

Easter morning I set up where I was busted by a gobbler the previous day. There was gobbling everywhere and a couple that sounded close. First light cam and they were hammering it but not sounding like they were getting closer. I listened to them gobble for at least an hour. I kept thinking they were moving away from me and I almost moved a couple of times but stayed put. They were moving to my right and I could hear them spittin and drumming so they had to be close but I could not see them. I purred a little and saw the top of one of their fan at the top of the hill above me. They got a little too close to the peak of the hill and one exposed his head a little too much and provided me with a nice head shot at 15 yards. I was not sure he went down and his buddy ran in front of me and I shot at him not realizing I had just popped his buddy. He ran off unharmed. I walked to where I took my first shot and there he lay while 2 hens flew off as I approached him. I never got to see them until I took the shot. Wish I could have seen the show but I will take it.

He was a nice bird. 20lbs., quadruple beards w/ the longest 10in., and 1 inch spurs.

Great morning, great hunt, and a great Easter service.

4498822804_7b2bd63cdf.jpg

4498829768_fc49b6d9d7.jpg

4498831162_cc89ed0371.jpg

Latest posts