My opening day story! 8 pt shot

Living2Hunt

I write this while sitting in a stand on this the second day of deer season. But this story is about opening day, I want to start off by saying that my #1 goal this year is to get my wife her first deer. We have had many close calls over the years!

Yesterday morning was a great morning! We seen turkeys and squirrels! Unfortunatly no deer untill we were walking out and we jumped 3 does and a small buck bedded down. That was at 1030. Well we got to the truck, checked some trail cams, ate lunch and headed home for a midday nap.

Our intention was to hunt the same farm, but over some crops fields. Well to our surprise farmer was there disking it all up. So I told me wife, we will go to the other place we have to hunt. As we were about half mile away, running late already, the road was blocked due to a bas wreck that just happened. So we turned around, hit some back roads, and after a 10 mile detour; we arrive. Now were really running behind.

We got there too late to hunt anything but the front side of the property. We did not have any 2 man stands, which mean see had to hunt by herself$ I got her settled over looking a 1 acre food plot we just planted a couple weeks ago. It was no plow, but is coming up better then my tilled plots. So I head to my stand amd get set up. I'm hunting one of the ridges that fall off this plot in the bottom.

20 mins later, I have 5 does and a small buck walk by at 20 yards. I decided to pass, we have a couple good bucks on this farm and the deer were headed to my wife. See she hasn't killed a deer so she will shoot anything. O text here and let her know they where headed towards her.

At 6:45 I get a text that looked liked this.... Ijust missedmonsyer 10ppt. I couldn't help but laugh at the text bc I knew she had buck fever. So asked, u sure u missed? High, low, how far? She said nothing back. I was like hello, then I got a call. She said she stuck the big 8pt that was with him! She was so tore up she couldn't talk! She was talking 100 miles an hour!

I was so excited for her! She was telling me th whole story on how they came in, were walking around, acting skitish and how she shot right over 10 pt back at 27 yards. I told her to stay calm. I asked her where she hit him, she said well kinda bad. It was in the shoulder. Not good, she only shoots 52 pounds. I told her to get ready cause the deer I passed should be getting close. She said ok.

Litteraly 30 seconds later I got a text, shot a doe, hit her good! I called her, man she was on cloud nine! She kept saying this is so awesome! Best time I've ever had. I think I was happier. So it was dark and I got down and headed towards her. We went and got my dad and 4 wheeler.

So we started where the buck was and what I was afraid of, no blood. The arrow was stuck in his shoulder when he ran off. We searched and searched, not one drop.

So we went to the spot where she shot the doe. Immeditally found blood. The arrow never exited. We tracked very small blood trail for awhile. And it was extremely late. I tied some ribbon and we went home.

She never said a word. I can tell she is devistated. She had worked so hard getting ready, practicing everday. But as we all know, it happens.

We woke up this morning to hunt same place and continue to look for both of them. But my wife is pregnant and had morning sickness and I'm solo today. As soon as I get down, I will look all dau for these deer. Nothing I want more then to find em for her! Wish me luck and thanks for listening!

Phil1979

Best of luck I hope you find them. Tell your wife to keep her head up and keep after them when she can, being pregnant and all.

Living2Hunt

Thanks for kind words guys! I just shot a doe myself and forgot how much I shake after the shot!

Living2Hunt

Still looking for hers. Found the 2 does I shot. Its thick were we hunt. Hard to see everything.

jsj9rc.jpg

Living2Hunt

Thanks! I guess I'm going to call search off and maybe get a evening hunt. Maybe she will shoot again. I just don't know?

Latest posts