My first buck - any guess on age (updated with jawbones)?

Vince

Was on tree before daylight and morning was slow. I saw 2 bucks and a doe, no shots on any of them...it didn't feel like it was a day I would see anything. Kind of hopeless for some reason. Got down for lunch at 11am before the rains came in and decided to go to an old mini shooting house in the middle of the woods. I jump two does on the way in and somehow squish myself into the shooting house. It was very noisy since it didn't have any cushion. My back started aching after 15 mins of being crunched in there. I saw some action in the woods. A doe is running fast and behind her comes this big body buck. I wait until I get a perfect chance to shoot the buck and take it. It runs away tails up but little slower than a normal deer would run, and may be shaking a bit..I wait for 30 min and watch the doe now being chased by a 2 yr old buck. I could have shot the doe but it was huge one and I didn't want to drag it. I get down before big rains came in so I can track blood. I come to the spot the buck was standing and no blood/fur. Nothing. I keep looking in the path the buck took off. After a decent enough distance (was long enough without blood that I thought I missed), I see a pool of blood. Traced it to him lying in the thickets. Dragging this buck hurt my everything. Field dressed and took him to Flowers. I have the cape. This is a 4 pointer without a brow tine but looks like a mature buck to me. Thank you Lord. My 9th year of deer hunting and my first decent buck. (Last year, I got two buttons - my first deer in 8 years)

It being my first, I am thinking of a shoulder mount but having second thoughts if it's worth it..pls let me know what you think of it's age.

Attachments

• 130ECA7D-59A5-49FB-8663-EEEE56BFBD81.jpeg
    130ECA7D-59A5-49FB-8663-EEEE56BFBD81.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 882
  • 7F9FC3F1-02D0-485D-ACEC-EBADEF6F0762.jpeg
    7F9FC3F1-02D0-485D-ACEC-EBADEF6F0762.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 728

Ski

I'd guess a stud 2yr old, but his neck looks huge. He might be 3. Either way he was hard earned and a real trophy. I love those abnormal racks. Whether to shoulder mount or not is totally up to you. Only you can answer that. Congrats on your first big buck!

DoubleRidge

Great buck!! First buck is always a trophy!! Beutiful cape too!! A shoulder mount would be something you can enjoy for years to come....but if you chose to not do a shoulder mount you can always do a euro skull mount....the greatest thing I see is the smile on your face!! Congrats!! Nice buck!!

catman529

Congrats Vince, you're on fire this year. Hard to tell by pics, but it looks like he has a good neck, could possibly be a 3.5 year old deer. Funny thing I have a very similar buck in my backyard, big 4 point with no brow tines. Almost looks like the same deer.

Boone25/06

Looks like a 3 year old by the body size. I would mount it being your first. If later on you shoot something bigger you want mounted and regretted mounting this one it's not very hard to cut the stitches ,soften the putty, and pull 4 screws. Then attach new skull cap and reclay and stitch up. Neck size would fit bigger rack just fine. I've done several of mine and it's near impossible to tell after. But if it were me I would mount and enjoy it just as is forever. Great first buck!

cbhunter

I say not a chance it's younger that 3.5. Younger deer just don't have the neck and chest if that one. Great buck and don't second guess mounting it if that was your first thought! Congrats

Spurhunter

Congrats Vince! Glad you are having success. I say if you are thinking this hard about mounting it, do it. This is my first deer I killed over 30 years ago. That little buckskin mount means the world to me, and when I look at it I can still see him through the woods straight to me.

Attachments

• 20201122_223719.jpg
    20201122_223719.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 56