Must Watch! Trail cam survey

BSK

That link has been posted many times, and I've posted my thoughts on it many times. In short, I disagree with many of their points, especially if you use black-flash cams instead of the visible flash cams the video-makers use.

Placing cameras in video mode reduces image quality dramatically.

Placing cameras high and pointing them down WILL reduce the frequency of deer reacting to the camera, but it greatly limits the trigger area of the camera (fine for "spot on the ground" sites but a poor set-up for "area" sites).

BSK

Hunter 257W said:
Quick question. When a manufacturer say a camera has "Black flash" are they talking about infrared or are they different?

So called "infra-red" (or IR) cams use some infra-red light to illuminate at night, but most of the illumination is actually achieved using light in the visible red spectrum (visible to us and deer). That's why these cameras are also called "red-glow" cams, because their flash is visible as a dull red glow for a second or two. Red-glow flash can really scare the crap out of deer, especially in video mode (called "flash spook"). However, some deer do not display noticeable fright at the flash, but avoid the camera in the future (called "camera avoidance").

However, "black-flash" is SUPPOSED to be completely invisible to us and deer. Most black-flash cams achieve this flash invisibility. However, a few manufacturers black-flash cams are still visible to most people and most deer. Great strides have been made in true black-flash technology of late, hence just a few brands are still erroneously pushing visible flash cams are black-flash.

JCDEERMAN

As mentioned, black flash is different than "red flash". If I could start over, I would have all black flash and white flash (regular picture with a flash). White flash for distance and black flash where the deer dont have a clue. Red flash seems to spook deer, especially older deer, more than any other camera flash out there, imo

BSK

JCDEERMAN said:
If I could start over, I would have all black flash and white flash (regular picture with a flash). White flash for distance and black flash where the deer dont have a clue.

You don't need white flash for distance anymore. Just get some black-flash flash extenders. They will shoot black light WAY out there, and for only $80.

This is a pick from a black-flash cam with flash extender. The tree-line in the background is 135 feet away:

Hunter 257W

Thanks guys. Both my current cameras are IR. Guess I need to do some camera shopping or stop trying to film over scrapes. Don't want to spook a buck out of the area because of my curiosity to see what is making the scrape.

The IR cameras should still be good for established mineral licks I would think?

BSK

Hunter 257W said:
The IR cameras should still be good for established mineral licks I would think?

Deer will still tend to shy away from IR cams at salt licks, but the attractant does help. From my comparative data, older bucks come less often and stay less time at salt licks covered with IR cams versus black-flash, and by a HUGE margin.

Hollar Hunter

BSK said:
Hunter 257W said:

Deer will still tend to shy away from IR cams at salt licks, but the attractant does help. From my comparative data, older bucks come less often and stay less time at salt licks covered with IR cams versus black-flash, and by a HUGE margin.

I've been running IR cameras for several years and this year I went to all Moultrie black flash which I know still shows some glow but very very little. In the past several years of having IR cameras I've never had a deer bed in front of it at least not for more than one pic than they were spooked. Just these few months that I've been running moultrie black flash cameras I've had several occasions with deer bedded in the pic sometimes for over an hour so I know now first hand ther's a HUGE difference and I am looking forward to going to all true black flash when the right model/price comes out...

Hunter 257W

BSK said:
Hunter 257W said:

Well, my observations sure align with what you are saying here BSK, as I seem to rarely get an older buck even at my established mineral sites. In the past it seemed like I got somewhat more older bucks with my old visible flash 35mm film cameras but never a lot by any means. And they rarely seemed to return more than maybe once after getting photographed.

Darn it, I hate spending money on better cameras that might get stolen though.........:(

BSK

I feel for you Hunter 257W. I don't know what I would do if there were high odds of my cameras "disappearing."

Hunter 257W

Well, to be honest I don't know what the odds are but I did have one theft a few years back that got a camera, ladder stand and homemade feeder all in one fell swoop. That one left me a little hesitant to trust. :) I think we have things under better control now as far as strangers coming and going.

After reading here about the IR vs. blackflash cameras, I decided to take down all my cameras Saturday for the rest of hunting season. I see no point in risking spooking a mature buck off the place. I'll probably move forward with trying to mount my IR cameras high enough above the deers vision to work over mineral sights and watch sales for the cheaper black flash cameras for trails/scrapes next year.

Latest posts