Mr.Big - 300RUM

Jon

Eric I have been wanting a 300 magnum for a long time now. I have been looking on gunbroker quite a bit and have noticed I can get an ultra mag for not much more than a win mag. My question is how bad is the recoil? I am familiar with the win mag but have never fired an ultra mag. I'm a handloader so I thought the Ultra would be fun to play with if I can tolerate the recoil.

Thanks, Jon

mr.big

the felt recoil is not that much more,,but the blast takes some getting used to..

get a good scope with decent eye relief and mount it low and it aint that bad,,

I am not sure 250 fps is worth going from 70 grs of powder to 100 though

Jon

What would you recommend? I'm wanting something for mostly long range shooting, without breaking the bank. I was looking at the Howa 1500s in 300 winchester but they were mostly 22 and 24 inch barrels. I would prefer the 26 inch barrel. I just cant play at real long ranges with my .223.

Jon

varmint1111

go with the RUM in a 26" tube you will love it. I don't understand why the 300 RUM is not more popular, it is a great round.Recoil is not as bad as you think, shoot one, you will like it.

mr.big

for hunting you wont find a meaner caliber,it is a lazer,,but for something to be shooting alot it is expensive to shoot,,even reloads goes through a pound of powder in about 70 rounds,,

100 rounds a year it is wicked,,100 rounds a day is more than I can afford

mr.big

you will love the case without the belt though,,

I tried to reduce recoil by backing off my favorite load,,that didnt work,,there isnt any difference in 95 and 100 grs of powder IMO,

if something like 4350 would shoot accurate in the lower 80 gr charge weight it might not be bad at all,,I just havent tried it yet,,it should be very easy to duplicate 300 Winnie loads with some of the faster powders.

Plateau Hunter

varmint1111 said:
go with the RUM in a 26" tube you will love it. I don't understand why the 300 RUM is not more popular, it is a great round.Recoil is not as bad as you think, shoot one, you will like it.

Varmint I understand why it is not popular at least from my perpective and I figure I am pretty average. I can kill deer as far as 'I' want to while burning 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of powder. There is no free lunch in physics. If you are launching a heavy bullet at 3200fps and burning 100g of powder you are going to pay the price in recoil, muzzle blast, and ear ringing. I figure most hunters are not interested in shooting deer at 600 plus yards. Kudos to those who like to and 'can' do that type of shooting-but I would wager most hunters aren't interested or capable.

Jon take a look at the 30/378-that will get you another 200fps with a 180g bullet. Wowee! PH

paradis1142

30/378 and 300 RUM run neck and neck, both are tons of fun. Yeah yeah yeah a 243 will kill a deer just as dead. Its just not as much fun. Some people just like shooting the big boomers, not a dang thing wrong with it.

Model70Man

I wonder what kind of speeds you can get with a 130 grain Tipped TSX? I get just under 3600 fps out of my WSM. I would think you would be pushing 4000 fps.

outlaw78

i have a 300RUM everyone keeps telling me it will destroy a whitetail,and im a meat hunter and if it tears one up that bad im trading it for a 243

remke

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

I love mine, they dont call it a FIELD CANNON for nothing

mr.big

I never got serious about the 125,,just tried to see how they ran across the Chrony and shot 2 5 shot groups,,best I remember they was around 3/4 inch,,

Latest posts