Mounting options for Helix 9

ad28

I've fished some stuff so ruff when I got home my wife asked me how I was alive.Large and medium drift socks sometimes dragging 7ft of 3/8in log chain.That is with a 12in lowrance and you have to get it tight.They actually make a wrench to tighten them properly with.
I'm not saying they aren't a good mount. They are on thousands of boats but I have seen them fail. I've never seen the balzout mount fail. I'm sure there's one or two out there but I've never seen it.

bluball

RAM mount vs Scotty mount...
I have two 12" graphs mounted on ram type mounts with the 2.25 ball, Scott is much more stable than a RAM mount.
Constantly readjusting RAM mount, never the Scotty.
That's odd most scotty mounts we see at the shop are junk.We usually talk customers into a ram,ballzout,etc.

agelessssone

Ballzout are definitely the strongest but not the most adjustable friendly, as in getting the totally proper angle for viewing.
Had one, got rid of it
I have two RAM mounts and they allow my 12" graphs to move in heavy waves, the Scotty does not
It seems Scotty has textured their ball and it grips a lot better.

WTM

I've been known to go airborn in my G3 1910 so I'm leaning towards ballzout; BUT, bluball is THE MAN when it comes to installs so I don't know WTH to do now 😳
yeah me too. wind, tugs and yachts is no joke. if i was going to use a RAM mount it would be a swing arm mount. the ball locking mechanism is a poor design compensated by selling a 30 dollar wrench to torque it down.

if i just had to use a ball mount then id invest in a good screen protector.

bluball

Ballzout are definitely the strongest but not the most adjustable friendly, as in getting the totally proper angle for viewing.
Had one, got rid of it
I have two RAM mounts and they allow my 12" graphs to move in heavy waves, the Scotty does not
It seems Scotty has textured their ball and it grips a lot better.
In all fairness the scotty mounts we see at the shop are the 1.5in ball versions from basspro.I haven't actually used the bigger version scottys.The 1.5in are the ones I have saw that are junk actually.

Last edited:

bluball

The 1.5's are too small for any graphs that I've found
Yep too small for anything I own forsure.I install marine electronics for a living .Guys come in with the 1.5in scottys from basspro and want a 9in garmin usually mounted on them.We tell them they should have bought something better because they are junk.Some listen and some dont,the ones that don't listen usually come back later for something better.

Last edited:

Latest posts