Morels?

TRIGGER

Found these today. Didn't have long to look but will be back out there tomorrow. I'm new to finding them but I have learned to just keep walking until you find one then slow down and pick that area apart
98ED7D9F-189A-48ED-9FEE-CC61BCDC0553.jpeg
BF1CFC4C-CD5B-49F2-87DD-C38A699BC1A5.jpeg

TRIGGER

Do you guys that hunt them every year see any correlation with the age of the timber around where you find them? Most places I look around the house was open field 50 years ago and I haven't found the first one around here. Today I went to a hillside that has never been farmed (as far as I know) and found a couple.

yellalinehunter

This rain and cool weather should extend their growing time. Rule of thumb is season is over when dogwoods bloom, however this is Tennessee weather. I've seen them growing on tall hills and also on the banks almost touching the river. There is really no hard fact way to determine an area. I've found them in town and couldn't find em in the middle of no where. My suggestion is always be looking and then if you find one take mental note of the area. Also, they can be in the wide open or thick as thieves in a down tree or briar patch.

MidTennFisher

I think the season is just about over in TN, same as here in upstate SC. As far as the dogwoods blooming rule, I haven't seen that to be true. Maybe in TN it is, I haven't lived there in several years and wasn't interested in morels when I did. But here the morel season is in full swing well after the dogwoods start blooming.

My key spots here are wide floodplain creek bottoms with lots of tulip poplar trees. Those are key, as well as ash trees. Not areas that are constantly flooding and swampy, but areas that flood a few times a year with a big rain. That disturbance triggers growth. If it's currently soggy they won't grow. That soil needs to have drained well.

The skinny morels, often called "tulip morels" (seen in TRIGGER's photo) can almost only be found near tulip poplars, hence the name. They don't get big but usually they grow in thick bunches so if you grab a few dozen you've got enough to be worth cooking and they taste great.

The large yellows I find around living ash trees, not dead/dying ones, and also tulip poplars. Elm trees are great too but I'm not as good at identifying those. Tulip and ash trees I can spot from a distance. Some say sycamore trees grow them later in the season.

Latest posts