More sous vide questions

Spurhunter

I got my immersion circulator this week. I've been watching videos and reading everything I can find. What I don't get is the huge window on cook times. Let's say I want to cook a 1.5 to 2 inch thick ribeye or filet to medium. I would set my temp 135-144, but the time says 1-4 hours. Why such a broad range? What is optimal for a 1.5 to 2 inch thick ribeye or filet? Also, for sear I plan to use a hot charcoal fire 1-2 minutes a side. I see a lot of people complaining about problems getting a good sear. Is this a concern?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I normally go to the low end of suggested cook times.
Many times, however, I just leave it in there till it is best for me from a time standpoint.
Great thing is no matter how long you leave it, you can't really over cook it since the temp stays the same.
When I sear I get my fire good and hot and literally leave it about 30 seconds per side, as it will be "done" when it comes out of the bath. The sear is strictly for visual preference only.

Last edited:

Bucket

For a 1.5-2" ribeye 2 hours sounds about right, but you could definitely leave it 4. I think you see a broad range of cook times because of the inability to overcook using Sous Vide. What it can do is make the meat mushy or mealy if you leave it too long. Individually sized portions of chicken, beef or pork I usually do 2 hours. Ribs I do anywhere from 12-24 depending on how much time I have. For a charcoal sear, my charcoal chimney works best for me - only takes about 30 seconds per side.

JCDEERMAN

I see what you're saying and I'm not sure on the answer. I always just do 2 hours. We set our temp for 123 - just the right pink/red for us. For the searing, I think a lot of folks don't get the iron piping hot like they should. About 30 seconds each side. I usually kneel down and get my tongs and lift it up to check. Flip when it's at your liking. Post pics when you do it!

WTM

pat dry and dust both sides of steaks with baking soda prior to seasoning. this is the secret to good meat browning in asian stir fries. also makes incredible ground meat dishes better, by adding 1/4 tsp to every pound of ground. a word of caution for marinades, it is also a really good tenderizer so any marinades need only about 20 minutes.

TAFKAP

I got my immersion circulator this week. I've been watching videos and reading everything I can find. What I don't get is the huge window on cook times. Let's say I want to cook a 1.5 to 2 inch thick ribeye or filet to medium. I would set my temp 135-144, but the time says 1-4 hours. Why such a broad range? What is optimal for a 1.5 to 2 inch thick ribeye or filet? Also, for sear I plan to use a hot charcoal fire 1-2 minutes a side. I see a lot of people complaining about problems getting a good sear. Is this a concern?

1 hour to cook minimum, where 4 hour is the point where you might start making the meat mushy. 135° - 144° seems pretty high, too. If it were me doing a ribeye steak, I'd set it at 128° and run it about 2 hours. I don't know how there'd be a problem getting a good sear on a charcoal grill, but you'll probably want to do 2mins per side. That'll be enough to get some grill marks and let the meat release.

TAFKAP

I normally go to the low end of suggested cook times.
Many times, however, I just leave it in there till it is best for me from a time standpoint.
Great thing is no matter how long you leave it, you can't really over cook it since the temp stays the same.
When I sear I get my fire good and hot and literally leave it about 30 seconds per side, as it will be "done" when it comes out of the bath. The sear is strictly for visual preference only.

It's definitely visual, but also flavor and texture. Gotta have that char

TAFKAP

Everything I'm reading shows medium 135 to 144. I think I'm going to cook a test ribeye for myself this weekend 2 hours @ 140 degrees and see how it turns out.
"medium" to someone that publishes a "How to cook food safely" book is about 10° - 15° higher than most reasonably competent cooks. IF you cook a piece of beef to 140°, then sear it, it'll be barely pink if at all. If that's you're thing, go for it.

But you can always cook an under-done piece of meat longer. If you like a true medium ribeye, with a cool pink center, I'd advise you to stay at 130° for your sous vide.

TAFKAP

Everything I'm reading shows medium 135 to 144. I think I'm going to cook a test ribeye for myself this weekend 2 hours @ 140 degrees and see how it turns out.

Also, that's a finishing temperature. Your sear will add heat, then the meat will continue climbing after you take it off the heat, and you'll be blasting through 150° in no time.

Spurhunter

"medium" to someone that publishes a "How to cook food safely" book is about 10° - 15° higher than most reasonably competent cooks. IF you cook a piece of beef to 140°, then sear it, it'll be barely pink if at all. If that's you're thing, go for it.

But you can always cook an under-done piece of meat longer. If you like a true medium ribeye, with a cool pink center, I'd advise you to stay at 130° for your sous vide.
Good points! Thanks for the info. I definitely like a true medium that's pink. I will eat medium rare so I'd rather err on that side.

Latest posts