My first sous vide

Spurhunter

I cooked my first sous vide filet tonight. Lightly seasoned with a dry steak seasoning, 2.5 hours @ 140 degrees, pat dry, 2 minutes a side on a hot charcoal fire. It looked perfect, and had great texture, but the flavor wasn't as good as I expected. Also, it was a little dry. Where did I go wrong? I plan to try it on some other cuts, but I will probably go back to using my Weber Kettle for filets.

20220204_211917.jpg

batten_down

I cooked my first sous vide filet tonight. Lightly seasoned with a dry steak seasoning, 2.5 hours @ 140 degrees, pat dry, 2 minutes a side on a hot charcoal fire. It looked perfect, and had great texture, but the flavor wasn't as good as I expected. Also, it was a little dry. Where did I go wrong? I plan to try it on some other cuts, but I will probably go back to using my Weber Kettle for filets.

View attachment 127990
Looks good. Following. I'll be doing my first in the next couple days. You were on the higher end of the temperature range for that cut?

Bass1090

Looks good Doug!

I put a pat or two of butter in the bag before sealing (and a little minced garlic). I also make sure I let my meat rest 10-15 minutes before drying and searing. Not sure if that would have kept it from drying or not but it may.

I also try and dry marinate for a minimum of 12 hrs on thawed meat in the refrigerator with my favorite seasoning. Good luck!

Spurhunter

Looks good Doug!

I put a pat or two of butter in the bag before sealing (and a little minced garlic). I also make sure I let my meat rest 10-15 minutes before drying and searing. Not sure if that would have kept it from drying or not but it may.

I also try and dry marinate for a minimum of 12 hrs on thawed meat in the refrigerator with my favorite seasoning. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips Keith!

TAFKAP

Sous vide cooking doesn't impart additional flavor. Your initial post was about ribeye, so it doesn't quite translate to filet....which is much leaner and needs a different approach.

First rule for any meat cooking is to season at least an hour before you start cooking. In your case, I would've thrown in butter and/or olive oil into the vacuum bag for a filet. It needs the fat & flavor. A filet is the mildest tasting cut of meat, so adding fat will help.

2.5 hours is appropriate. 140° is higher than I'd recommend for filet. Try 130° next time. But don't forget that the vacuum sealed pouch will carry all your flavor. Try butter, try rosemary, use a lot of pepper, and throw some garlic in there. But using the right amount of salt at least an hour before cooking will really change your life. Weigh the salt. Use up to 2% of the meat's weight as salt ( a 6 oz. filet will need 3g to 3.5g of salt)

But it sounds like you did just right out of the bag.

cbhunter

I've found not to "lightly season"

Don't be afraid to use more than usual.
After much trial and error I DO sometimes "lightly" season after cooking in sous vide and just before the grill. But that's after moderately seasoning before sous vide

I'm amazed that you said "dry". I wasn't sure that was possible with sous vide but I also haven't done filets

Spurhunter

Sous vide cooking doesn't impart additional flavor. Your initial post was about ribeye, so it doesn't quite translate to filet....which is much leaner and needs a different approach.

First rule for any meat cooking is to season at least an hour before you start cooking. In your case, I would've thrown in butter and/or olive oil into the vacuum bag for a filet. It needs the fat & flavor. A filet is the mildest tasting cut of meat, so adding fat will help.

2.5 hours is appropriate. 140° is higher than I'd recommend for filet. Try 130° next time. But don't forget that the vacuum sealed pouch will carry all your flavor. Try butter, try rosemary, use a lot of pepper, and throw some garlic in there. But using the right amount of salt at least an hour before cooking will really change your life. Weigh the salt. Use up to 2% of the meat's weight as salt ( a 6 oz. filet will need 3g to 3.5g of salt)

But it sounds like you did just right out of the bag.
Thanks! More great info.

Spurhunter

I've found not to "lightly season"

Don't be afraid to use more than usual.
After much trial and error I DO sometimes "lightly" season after cooking in sous vide and just before the grill. But that's after moderately seasoning before sous vide

I'm amazed that you said "dry". I wasn't sure that was possible with sous vide but I also haven't done filets
I was afraid to season much. And I didn't add any salt. Two mistakes. And I couldn't believe it was dry either. Oh well, it was still better than I've had at some restaurants.

JCDEERMAN

Try cooking to 123-125 degrees for 2 hours. I would consider 140 extremely high and likely why it was somewhat dry tasting. Season right before you sear. Also a dab of butter on top to melt when it comes off the sear

ADR

I cook mine at 129 for at least an hour per inch of meat. No more than 4 hours in sous vide. I don't rest mine at all, straight from bag to 600 degree grill. Each side gets roughly 30 seconds per. I too season a little more heavily before going into the bag. A lot gets left in the juice from sous vide cooking.

Another dynamite recipe is a chuck roast that's relatively flat and looks more like a ribeye than a football shaped roast. Usually about 2" thick. Place in bag, heavily season, and cook at 133 for 24-28 hours. Finish on the grill, 600 degrees for a minute per side. Hard to beat when roasts go on sale.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I cook mine at 129 for at least an hour per inch of meat. No more than 4 hours in sous vide. I don't rest mine at all, straight from bag to 600 degree grill. Each side gets roughly 30 seconds per. I too season a little more heavily before going into the bag. A lot gets left in the juice from sous vide cooking.

Another dynamite recipe is a chuck roast that's relatively flat and looks more like a ribeye than a football shaped roast. Usually about 2" thick. Place in bag, heavily season, and cook at 133 for 24-28 hours. Finish on the grill, 600 degrees for a minute per side. Hard to beat when roasts go on sale.
I'm trying that Thursday!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
In my humble opinion, which don't mean much:

I love a filet but they don't have anywhere the flavor a ribeye does.
The "dry" is because you cooked it about twice too long on the grill.

Again, just my opinion.

Spurhunter

In my humble opinion, which don't mean much:

I love a filet but they don't have anywhere the flavor a ribeye does.
The "dry" is because you cooked it about twice too long on the grill.

Again, just my opinion.
2 minutes a side was twice too much? I was monitoring it closely and took it off as soon as it had the right color.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
2 minutes a side was twice too much? I was monitoring it closely and took it off as soon as it had the right color.
For ME, I like no more than about 30 seconds per side after coming out of the bath.
I will take it up, put a pat of butter on top and wrap it in aluminum foil while it rests.

TAFKAP

The best defense against dry meat is brining, especially for a meat with little fat content. Season well at least an hour beforehand, preferably 2-4 hours, will really help.

Latest posts