MLF Rule Change

rsimms

Major League Fishing has changed the rules. Rather than allowing pros to score EVERY legal bass, now most MLF tournaments will only count anglers' five largest bass (but still released immediately, no 'weigh-ins'). I don't like it. When I watch an MLF event I prefer that every legal fish counts, encouraging anglers to target quantity over quality (a.k.a. more action). Kevin VanDam said, "This forces us to totally focus on big fish... this (five-fish) format requires a different mentality." MLF claims they are bowing to the wishes of spectators and anglers (according to their surveys). But they didn't survey me and I'm against it.

What about you?

Details here: https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/big-changes-coming-for-major-league-fishing-mlf

mlf_change.jpg

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I'm kinda on the fence about it.
I feel like you, I like the action, however, I do tend to get tired of hearing... "It's a MONSTER" then they boat flip another 1#6oz bass. 🤦‍♂️

JBell

they ain't changing the format. Just going back to normal. I do prefer the heavy hitter version where the legal fish was 2 pounds then 3 pounds in final. I think they ought to target better quality along with quantity. I honestly wish they'd bring back ultimate match fishing. That was pretty cool

TNReb

I had zero interest in "every fish counts" .. or "every fish above 2 pounds counts".. or whatever else they were doing.

I never watched any of MLF or the BPT or whatever they call themselves now.

I'm not a BASS fan boy who is against MLF or anything like that. I just don't have any interest in "every fish counts" because it's not the way our tournaments are run.

However... I'll also say that I don't watch BASS much either. I just don't have much interest in watching live fishing. It's slow.

I'd rather watch a 30-60 min edited program that shows the highlights of a biggest 5 format.

This change is all about money - what can they do to get their viewership up and keep sponsors happy.

bowhunterfanatic

I HATE it. I'm not a tournament bass fisherman, but I do enjoy catching one from time to time. I watched almost all of the MLF tourneys live, and will probably continue to watch some, but I'm hoping and praying that in the next year or two they go back towards the middle a little bit and do half the tourneys old school and half new school.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Seems like they ought to vary it by time of year.

Cool weather tournaments, it's nice to see guys lay into a school.

But overall, I agree; I want bigger fish. And from a production standpoint, I think you can create more drama with more unpredictability in the standings—once someone gets on a "wolf pack" of large bass, they could jump 15+ spots

Harold Money jr

I spoke with one of the pros, he said the winners wouldn't change that much. The same ones who had the most weight in 100 fish still had the heaviest 5 the majority of the time.

cmn

Major League Fishing has changed the rules. Rather than allowing pros to score EVERY legal bass, now most MLF tournaments will only count anglers' five largest bass (but still released immediately, no 'weigh-ins'). I don't like it. When I watch an MLF event I prefer that every legal fish counts, encouraging anglers to target quantity over quality (a.k.a. more action). Kevin VanDam said, "This forces us to totally focus on big fish... this (five-fish) format requires a different mentality." MLF claims they are bowing to the wishes of spectators and anglers (according to their surveys). But they didn't survey me and I'm against it.

What about you?

Details here: https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/big-changes-coming-for-major-league-fishing-mlf

View attachment 155652
I agree! That will change the entire complexity of the tournament. Much more exciting for every bass over a pound to count

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I really don't watch a whole lot of fishing shows any more, but I'd prefer a hybrid model. First few days with the measure/weigh all legal fish, and then the final 2 be best 5 fish. Even flip flopping that would be preferable to going all in on one style or the other. To me it would help mitigate luck as a factor more, and really show some skill in catching both numbers and size.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Wonder if I was the only one who misread this as "MILF Rule Change"! I was thinking, "Whoo boy! This will be good!"
🤣
The truck trailer combo with that logo (I think the "official" on site rig) resides just a pinch up the road from where I stay in KY at Cadiz. Every time I see it I think "What the hell were they thinking?!" Are they so absorbed by fishing that they don't see it?

I quit bass fishing years ago after tournaments became big stuff on Center Hill. It quickly went from a Great Lake to fish and stock your freezer from to not being worth it between the reduced catch and all the idiot recreational boaters.

Latest posts