Midge worked for me this morning

peytoncreekhunter

Black zebra midge with a red collar behind the bead head worked for me this morning below Center Hill Dam.

This Rainbow was 20 inches and took me about 15 minutes to get to the net. Was using my 4wt fly rod. Several times I'd get him close then he'd make a run. At one point I bet he had 20 yrds of line out.

IMG_20220714_065042.jpg

TboneD

Very nice bow! Summer time is black fly time on the Caney so I rarely used anything other than a bead head olive thread larva or a zebra midge variant of some sort. I use past tense since it's been quite a while since I fished it. Finally put my daughter's Christmas Fly South gift card toward a new Reddington 4 wt couple weeks ago. Guy at Fly South said he would opt for the Elk because of the water quality on the Caney now. It's a lot closer to me, though, and I've only fished the Elk a few times. Thanks for posting!

peytoncreekhunter

Very nice bow! Summer time is black fly time on the Caney so I rarely used anything other than a bead head olive thread larva or a zebra midge variant of some sort. I use past tense since it's been quite a while since I fished it. Finally put my daughter's Christmas Fly South gift card toward a new Reddington 4 wt couple weeks ago. Guy at Fly South said he would opt for the Elk because of the water quality on the Caney now. It's a lot closer to me, though, and I've only fished the Elk a few times. Thanks for posting!

The water has been crystal clear at the Caney this week. I've seen lots of risers while fishing. I think they were feeding on black flies. I drifted midges right through them and only caught a few. I had size 16 and 18. Probably a size 22 would of worked.

TboneD

I hate to downsize that small but you do what you have to do. I'd probably first add more 6x flouro to my leader and see if that worked. Thanks so much for the report. Hopefully I can go one morning next week.

peytoncreekhunter

I hate to downsize that small but you do what you have to do. I'd probably first add more 6x flouro to my leader and see if that worked. Thanks so much for the report. Hopefully I can go one morning next week.
[/QUOTE]

I thought about a small dry fly but my 60 yr old eyes just can't see them....lol

Let me know how you do and what you were using.

scn

When it gets this time of year up there, a size 18 is as large as I would fish.

And, your holdover fish have seen so many zebra midges with the bright beads and wire that they are reluctant to commit to one. A simple thread midge tied with two contrasting colors of thread (no bead, no wire) can really up your odds. There are some thread size braids out there that can give you some sparkle if you want a little more than the normal thread.

Last edited:

cowhunter71

That would be a nice bait on the Caney right about now. Would look real good with a Mustad 9174 9/0 upper lip piercing 😀 They are a beautiful fish though, then again I think the same of an 18in Ladyfish or Mullet;) Congrats on the catch. Sounds like it put up one hell of a battle.

Last edited:

Dirtcop

Black zebra midge with a red collar behind the bead head worked for me this morning below Center Hill Dam.

This Rainbow was 20 inches and took me about 15 minutes to get to the net. Was using my 4wt fly rod. Several times I'd get him close then he'd make a run. At one point I bet he had 20 yrds of line out.

View attachment 142358
Beautiful bow!! Congrats

Chiflyguy

View attachment 142358
Nice fish dude.

7mm08

The water has been crystal clear at the Caney this week. I've seen lots of risers while fishing. I think they were feeding on black flies. I drifted midges right through them and only caught a few. I had size 16 and 18. Probably a size 22 would of worked.
What was your tippet size? Clear water ,
And tailwater = 6x for sure and a small indicator in a neutral color.

scn

When they are midging like that on the surface a size 18-20 Griffin's Gnat can work. It represents a cluster of the smaller midges.

Rollo

If they're rolling on top I wonder if a black/white parachute midge would work (and easier to see without an indicator)? or presentation too large? Very nice bow. Can't wait to try and fight one that size on my 4 wt.

Latest posts