Middle Tn wma's turkey pop

gordonc615

Man I don't know if it's just me or not but so far this year I've heard or seen less jakes/Tom's compared to years past. I don't know if it's because of all the rain last year or just more hens hatching but it's a noticeable difference. Has anyone else noticed this? The public area I hunt has always had a decent amount of birds but I'm just baffled...
The Tom's have def been super henned up as well im guessing that's everyone's experience?

Bgoodman30

Man I don't know if it's just me or not but so far this year I've heard or seen less jakes/Tom's compared to years past. I don't know if it's because of all the rain last year or just more hens hatching but it's a noticeable difference. Has anyone else noticed this? The public area I hunt has always had a decent amount of birds but I'm just baffled...
The Tom's have def been super henned up as well im guessing that's everyone's experience?

About same toms but a ton more jakes.

Bone Collector

I'm hunting the same type of places you are. Toms were there, but they are already over pressured. I did call up 8 jakes opening morning. Seen a bunch of hens, a couple of Toms and those jakes. Should've killed the Tom I was after Saturday AM, but he came in behind me silent and on my right (I'm right handed). We saw each other at the same time and he was gone.

That being said, this past Sunday was my slowest day and I saw more hunters than I have so far this year. At one place I went to check there were five cars and trucks parked there and I saw one pair and one trio so no telling how many people were in that area. Needless to say I went somewhere else. Saw more boot tracks than turkey tracks in the mud.

gordonc615

Well I snuck out this morning and of course I saw a group of 9 Jake's at this new wma area I tried. Did have a diaster of spooking a hen off her nest by accident, she didnt make a sound or anything, felt horrible.But once again Tom's were gobbling maybe 30 mins after fly down and then went silent. Glad to see other ppl are seeing more Jake's and Tom's I was kind of getting worried cause the ratio is way off where I'm at. I'm guessing I'm going to have make a drive to Hendersonville/mt juliet and hit old hickory area Corp land to see if there's any difference. Good luck gentlemen

Urban_Hunter

Well I snuck out this morning and of course I saw a group of 9 Jake's at this new wma area I tried. Did have a diaster of spooking a hen off her nest by accident, she didnt make a sound or anything, felt horrible.But once again Tom's were gobbling maybe 30 mins after fly down and then went silent. Glad to see other ppl are seeing more Jake's and Tom's I was kind of getting worried cause the ratio is way off where I'm at. I'm guessing I'm going to have make a drive to Hendersonville/mt juliet and hit old hickory area Corp land to see if there's any difference. Good luck gentlemen
Good luck. I'm looking to go elsewhere. The more secluded I get on the wma the more people I run into. Been walked up on 3 times in 1 day. These are boat access only spots… I can't imagine the walk in areas. Literally saw more people opening day on boats than I did in duck season

Latest posts