Merriams

Bgoodman30

1. Merriam's aren't easier I find they often run by you and not straight too you. Emphasis on run...
2. Always position yourself where you will have the high ground, if they get the elevation advantage you have usually lost. A lot of times when you strike them they will angle above you.
3. Don't sit and wait wear them out with the calls. They rarely make a silent approach..
4. Never call in an open area without a setup close they will run you over.
5. If there are trails or logging roads always setup where you can shoot them. They use them too.

Good luck!

Joe2Kool

1. Merriam's aren't easier I find they often run by you and not straight too you. Emphasis on run...
2. Always position yourself where you will have the high ground, if they get the elevation advantage you have usually lost. A lot of times when you strike them they will angle above you.
3. Don't sit and wait wear them out with the calls. They rarely make a silent approach..
4. Never call in an open area without a setup close they will run you over.
5. If there are trails or logging roads always setup where you can shoot them. They use them too.

Good luck!

Yep.

Bgoodman30

Any tips on clothing?

I like stretchy pants and good hiking boots. Usually don't have to worry about snakes. Usually start out with a packable vest or jacket plus base layers. Buddy went one year with his knee high swamp rubber boots and was at TSC that afternoon with blisters buying some hiking shoes.

Joe2Kool

As far as camo, I wear the same thing I wear here in East TN. Mostly green ish stuff. Nothing in particular as far as pattern. In many places, there will be less cover than eastern hardwoods. One of those lightweight camo half umbrellas like you put up over a tree stand comes in handy. Just prop it up and hope it's not windy!

Regarding wind, be prepared for it. It'll make it a whole lot colder than you think. If you hunt more than a couple of days, expect some, as in 20-30 mph. But don't worry, half day +/- is typical and it'll be back to normal.

I forgot, when are you going? And post some pics!

Joe2Kool

Take it, take it ALL! Hot gear, cold gear, wet gear, etc.....
Now that's funny. But so very, very right! I think Hunt has experienced it all on a Merriam's hunt! Oh, and sunscreen too.

Me? 40 mph winds in a blizzard...And Hunt gave me grief for staying in that day!
18" of snow. And we roosted birds that evening!
Downpours.
Hailstorms. With a bird gobbling at me as I covered up with my poncho to keep the hail off my head.

Has anyone mentioned those birds like to gobble? 🤔🤔 You're gonna have a blast!

Huntaholic

Now that's funny. But so very, very right! I think Hunt has experienced it all on a Merriam's hunt! Oh, and sunscreen too.

Me? 40 mph winds in a blizzard...And Hunt gave me grief for staying in that day!
18" of snow. And we roosted birds that evening!
Downpours.
Hailstorms. With a bird gobbling at me as I covered up with my poncho to keep the hail off my head.

Has anyone mentioned those birds like to gobble? 🤔🤔 You're gonna have a blast!
LOL you cant kill em from the cabin or the motel! They gotta be out there in it and if Ive drove 1200 miles to hunt them, then so will I be out there in it! I LOVE IT out there! Yall are making me wish I had planned on going this year!

Bgoodman30

Honestly the weather up there for me has been much better than around here. Usually lows in 30's and highs in 60's with light winds. Perfect usually. Even if the wind blows or it's rains it usually doesn't last. Last year was unseasonably warm and then some light rain for 2 days. That's the only extremes I've experienced

ZachMarkus

Honestly the weather up there for me has been much better than around here. Usually lows in 30's and highs in 60's with light winds. Perfect usually. Even if the wind blows or it's rains it usually doesn't last. Last year was unseasonably warm and then some light rain for 2 days. That's the only extremes I've experienced
Last year was very warm, only time I have ever witnessed turkeys laying down under a tree in the shade with their mouth open.

Latest posts