Memory card readers and method of deletion

JCDEERMAN

Yes, I've been using only SanDisk 128 GB cards in my Browning HP5s all season. No problem.
Good call out @Smells Like Sulfur . Most advertisements for cameras say, "will accept up to ***GB memory cards". Something to pay attention to. All I've bought the last few years are Brownings, so that's all I've looked at on Amazon, but they all state what size cards they accept.

BSK

Good call out @Smells Like Sulfur . Most advertisements for cameras say, "will accept up to ***GB memory cards". Something to pay attention to. All I've bought the last few years are Brownings, so that's all I've looked at on Amazon, but they all state what size cards they accept.
Yep, some cameras won't accept cards larger then 32 GB.

rifle02

I have one particular camera, a Cabela's brand, not sure who actually makes it. Every time I put a new card in it it wanted me to format. That was a pain since I was kneeling on one knee trying not to get my scent all over everything. I have since labeled all my cards with a sticker showing what camera they are dedicated to. I formatted every card to the particular camera that they will be used in. I have not had a single problem since. And I only view them on a laptop.

agelessssone

I'm using Moultrie cell cameras and I get a lot of back portions of deer that have walked through the field of view of the camera.
It seems like the cameras are very slow to react.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113_220646.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_220646.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231113_220622.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_220622.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231113_220717.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_220717.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231113_220732.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_220732.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231113_220701.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_220701.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 12

BSK

I'm using Moultrie cell cameras and I get a lot of back portions of deer that have walked through the field of view of the camera.
That may very well be the problem. Each camera model has a different trigger speed. Some are ultra-fast, others, not so much. Only way to know is to test them against fast-triggering cameras.

JCDEERMAN

I understand the frustration. I'm not a Moultrie fan, but I get some pics like that on all cameras. Most of them perform well though. Just depends on the specific camera

BSK

The only way to know is to test them. I test cameras in my back yard. I set one camera directly above the other, pointed at exactly the same angle, and then walk in front of them at a quick pace from both directions, and then compare the results. Some cameras are so slow I'm out of the frame before the first picture is taken. Some are so fast they get me entering the frame and several times before I leave the frame.

The problem is every camera-maker updates/changes their cameras every year. I've seen a top-notch brand produce a real stinker in a given production year. And I've seen brands that have produced nothing but junk for years suddenly produce a crazy-good camera. Browning comes to mind. Their first several models were junk. Now they produce the best cams on the market. WGI and Moultrie are other examples. One model will be really good, the next, garbage.

DoubleRidge

I test cameras in my back yard. I set one camera directly above the other, pointed at exactly the same angle, and then walk in front of them at a quick pace from both directions, and then compare the results.
What a great idea....I need to try this test method...and I totally agree... I have accumulated several WGI cameras over the years...some are great...some are junk.

BSK

What a great idea....I need to try this test method...and I totally agree... I have accumulated several WGI cameras over the years...some are great...some are junk.
What will amaze you is how far you cover in a fraction of a second. One camera will have an 0.2 second trigger and another a 0.6 second trigger. You won't believe how much farther into the frame you are with the 0.6 trigger camera even though you're just walking. Now think about a deer trotting or running.

Mr.Bro

I test my cameras and also an often deer that passes through the neighborhood on my front porch. Got 1 camera that catches only the back end of a car coming from the right but all of one coming from the left. 10 sec. Videos.
View, format and delete on my DownLow. Guess that's another subject. No problems with 32gb Sandisk.

Smells Like Sulfur

If you Google "best trail cameras rated by function" there's a bunch of websites that seem to be somewhat impartial who rate them by trigger speed, distance, and resolution. Some get really good marks in one category but not the other.

Try to find one of the reviews from a website that either doesn't sell trail cams, or sells lots and lots of them, not one specific brand.