Memory card readers and method of deletion

JCDEERMAN

I was checking cameras over the weekend and some of my cards in different cameras showed they were almost full when I just deleted everything off of it using a memory card reader and iPhone.

When deleting, I guess it creates a back door file and puts it in there as trash??? We had to check every card we have on a laptop to completely delete them. There were some pics on them that were from 2019 (when I started using my phone and memory card reader).

When I get on my phone, I go to Files, then find the memory card and open. When I delete, I'll delete the entire folder.

Anyone else had this issue?

backyardtndeer

I don't use a reader for a phone. I only use a laptop, and always delete the entire folder after saving the pics I want to a drive. Have heard it's best to reformat the cards, but I have not done that unless I had issues.

I just reactivated my cell cam and got it back out today. In the app for that cam, I missing a crap load of pics from it, the entire month of November. I guess I should have pulled that card and saved files from it, maybe the files are still on the card.

BSK

I've found that certain brands of cameras require formatting of the SD Card by the camera itself (using the "Delete All Photos" menu choice). I don't know what it is, but formatting format SD card for these cameras with Windows or Apple OS and they won't function in the camera.

ZachMarkus

I've found that certain brands of cameras require formatting of the SD Card by the camera itself (using the "Delete All Photos" menu choice). I don't know what it is, but formatting format SD card for these cameras with Windows or Apple OS and they won't function in the camera.
I format all my cards with an apple mac. I use the disk utility app and MS-DOS (fat) function which formats the card according to apple. I've haven't had any issues at all since I've started doing this. Currently using WGI, Browning and Tactacam cameras.

BSK

I format all my cards with an apple mac. I use the disk utility app and MS-DOS (fat) function which formats the card according to apple. I've haven't had any issues at all since I've started doing this. Currently using WGI, Browning and Tactacam cameras.
I believe it was a Spartan camera that I had problems with lately. I usually format cards using Windows, FAT. I should have tried exFat, but that never crossed my mind. When I would swap cards I would have to remember to format the SD Card I was swapping into the cam using the camera functions. I've also had some "iffy" results from Spypoint cams.

ADR

Same here.
Previously I would delete the files after viewing until I put an 8gb card into a camera and the camera said there was only room for 80-90 pictures. During the formatting, it was obvious that the card was almost full of stored crap that wouldn't pull up on the computer. Now they all get reformatted every time.

Andy S.

Never had this issue. For my Reconyx trail cameras, I delete all files on SD card "with the Reconyx camera", while the card is inside the Reconyx camera. I toggle through settings and select "delete files from SD card". For other trail cameras and my cellular cameras, I delete with laptop and format cards with FAT32 (for cards 32GB and smaller), and with exFAT for cards 64GB and larger. Currently running Browning and Reconyx trail cameras and Tactacam and Spartan cell cameras.

Madbowh

I was checking cameras over the weekend and some of my cards in different cameras showed they were almost full when I just deleted everything off of it using a memory card reader and iPhone.

When deleting, I guess it creates a back door file and puts it in there as trash??? We had to check every card we have on a laptop to completely delete them. There were some pics on them that were from 2019 (when I started using my phone and memory card reader).

When I get on my phone, I go to Files, then find the memory card and open. When I delete, I'll delete the entire folder.

Anyone else had this issue?
Yea I format at the start of every season, with some saved on my phone first of course

JCDEERMAN

Interesting - why can't life be simple. It sounds like I need to just check all cards on a yearly basis and delete all. Y'all mention formatting - I'll have to get my wife or cousin on that because they are IT nerds 🤣. Also sounds like if I have the time to check the photos at the camera, then insert back in and delete all might do the trick as well - haven't thought of that (because I never check the photos at the camera).

BSK

Interesting - why can't life be simple. It sounds like I need to just check all cards on a yearly basis and delete all. Y'all mention formatting - I'll have to get my wife or cousin on that because they are IT nerds 🤣. Also sounds like if I have the time to check the photos at the camera, then insert back in and delete all might do the trick as well - haven't thought of that (because I never check the photos at the camera).
Have two SD cards for each camera. Visit the camera, pull the exposed card, put it in your pocket (or better yet a waterproof carrying case), put a new card in the camera, format the card with the Delete All menu choice, and move on to the next camera. Just don't forget to turn the camera on before leaving! Take all the exposed cards home, review the pictures, make copies of them (if you're into that), put them back in carrying case for next trip to check cameras.

JCDEERMAN

Have two SD cards for each camera. Visit the camera, pull the exposed card, put it in your pocket (or better yet a waterproof carrying case), put a new card in the camera, format the card with the Delete All menu choice, and move on to the next camera. Just don't forget to turn the camera on before leaving! Take all the exposed cards home, review the pictures, make copies of them (if you're into that), put them back in carrying case for next trip to check cameras.
That sounds like the plan moving forward. I have plenty of cards and always swap cards. I initially thought swapping the cards between all the different brands of cameras we have (7 different brands) was the problem…and I suspect that's still part of the problem. They all create a folder. Will start to "delete all" at the camera and see if that does it.

Due to this issue, I recently switched from 4gb-16gb cards to 32gb-128gb cards, so I may not run into this issue as often 🤣

Smells Like Sulfur

That has been my experience as well. When the photos are deleted from a phone, it still seems to take up some kind of database space, when you clear it from the camera, they're actually cleared.

All cameras are different though.

Smells Like Sulfur

I've never had that problem until now. I believe the camera itself is storing the data in a file not observable on the phone reader. My 16gb card when looking on my phone is clear with only 3gb available space
You could also be having an SD card malfunction. It sits out in the weather all day, hot and cold, and is removed to check all the time. All of that can be pretty hard on those cards, SD cards are super cheap now, I've seen 32 and 64 GB ones for less than $10 on sale, some of the larger ones can get a little bit pricey.

Maybe try swapping out the SD card and see if you have the same issue?

BSK

You could also be having an SD card malfunction. It sits out in the weather all day, hot and cold, and is removed to check all the time. All of that can be pretty hard on those cards, SD cards are super cheap now, I've seen 32 and 64 GB ones for less than $10 on sale, some of the larger ones can get a little bit pricey.

Maybe try swapping out the SD card and see if you have the same issue?
I just bought name-brand SanDisk 128 GB, 140 m/s cards for $14 each. Amazon.

Smells Like Sulfur

I just bought name-brand SanDisk 128 GB, 140 m/s cards for $14 each. Amazon.
Have you tried them yet, or did you just get them now? Make sure your camera is capable of accepting larger cards, I have a security camera that only takes up to a 64 GB card. It's hooked up to my hard drive so it constantly records, but it only can hold 64 GB internally for some reason, I can put a bigger card in, but I get all kinds of weird errors with it. The user manual should tell you.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
This but
I run only reconyx and only view on a laptop. Once I have viewed and saved desired pics I back button to the file and select delete. A few seconds and the card is clean. I only reformat once per season and toss cards that hint of trouble

BSK

Have you tried them yet, or did you just get them now? Make sure your camera is capable of accepting larger cards, I have a security camera that only takes up to a 64 GB card. It's hooked up to my hard drive so it constantly records, but it only can hold 64 GB internally for some reason, I can put a bigger card in, but I get all kinds of weird errors with it. The user manual should tell you.
Yes, I've been using only SanDisk 128 GB cards in my Browning HP5s all season. No problem.

Latest posts