Maybe this will pass

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Chairman Chris Todd filed a bill that will be in the House Ag Subcommittee Tuesday morning.
This bill will remove some of the WMA duck blind process issues from the wildlife commission.

It reverts all current Tier 2 blinds back to the Tier 1, 60-day draw. It allows the agency to create NEW blind locations for Tier 2 designation. Tier 1 drawings are to be held in person, with no priority points, and only residents of the state.

It also requires any private Reelfoot Lake blinds that revert to the commission in the future be held for a commercial guide auction each year for the season. This preserves an economic driver for that area which draws hunters from numerous states for paid trips.

The same bill is the carried in the Senate by Senator Sutherland and is on this week's calendar. It is not likely they will get to that item for another week or two, but that is where we need your help.
It is critical to contact the senators on his committee so they know we want this passed.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Personally I have no problem with out of state people putting in, as long as they buy the license's and permits needed to hunt before they put in.
Also they need to show up at the draw.

Not really a fan of seeing any blind sold to the highest bidder either.
Other than that I am on board for sure.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I would prefer to see any blinds that revert to the state enter the draw just as they have. If guides want a place the hunt from on the lake, they can put a floater out some place just as they have been in places anyhow, or utilizing the private land they already have leased.
I agree

MickThompson

Here's the thing, if they pass the LAW and it doesn't work, another legislator will have to propose a new LAW to take it off the books. It then has to clear committee, be passed by both houses, and signed by a governor instead of going through the commission.

Didn't the system just get blown up over blinds being sold? And now we want to make it law that certain blinds will be sold? If I buy a blind, how do you force me to bring hunters with me? Maybe me and 4 friends just buy one for $10k and enjoy our 60 days? Just because I have a guide license doesn't mean I have to guide anyone. Then where's the economic impact?

The agency can create new tier 2 blinds already but where are they going to put them?

Y'all are so mad you'll make a deal with the devil right now

drake799

Blinds on Reelfoot that are goin to be reverted back need to be public draws There are plenty of guides on Reelfoot already. There are private blinds on West Sandy also are they gonna be auctioned off as well?! I doubt it. Reelfoot always got it's own set of rules goin on seems like lol.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Deal with the devil is right.

Letting the legislature meddle in how public lands are run under the sole basis of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." How do you think the ruckus over Bridgestone-Firestone happened?

Unless the legislature wants to start paying the bills for public land opportunities, they have no part to play here.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
TWRA has proved throughout this entire ordeal they have no business setting anything either.
It is the Wildlife Commission that is the bulk of the problem. Most of them have no clue what is best, and they overrule TWRA recommendations regularly to suit their own desires. There are two or three that do have a clue, and do listen to hunters, but they have been overruled in most every case.

Displaced_Vol

Yeah I don't know about this one. Obviously many aren't happy with current deal and rightfully so but I am also leery of unintended consequences that could come not only from this bill but any precedent it might set. Have to think on this one more before I have much in the way of strong opinions.
legislators are like bad carpenters with hammers, every problem is not a nail and every problem doesn't require legislation to address it…IMO

We've got an interesting one up in KY this session where the commissioner of ag would appoint 4 out of the 5 seats on our commission. Don't know much about that one either

UpperTully

TWRA has proved throughout this entire ordeal they have no business setting anything either.
It's been a given for quite a few years that TWRA can certainly be irresponsible in decision making and or management. Then again, this equally applies to the Commission too.

When I witnessed Region 1 Biologist Jim Hamlington stand before the Commission, recommend changing regulations, then admit it was off of hearsay, then state he would do a little research after the fact. I lost all respect for TWRA, then I lost a lot of respect for the Commission not calling him out and approving such buffoonery.

Latest posts