Marine Battery ????

scn

I continue to have issues with the starting battery for my old flats boat. For the second year in a row, it looks like the battery is not holding a charge. It is in the center console in the very back, so it is a royal PIA to change out. It requires unhooking and removing the two trolling motor batteries to get to it. It is an Interstate.

Is there another battery out there that I can upgrade to and expect to get more than a year out of? I don't want to break the bank, but it isn't a fun deal to change out this one on a regular basis.

Thanks!

hammer33

#1. Check for current drain like Ruger said. Probably something like an automatic bilge pump switch starting to go bad. Or an Led indicator light on something. Could be as simple as corrosion on a battery terminal.
#2 If you don't have a quality onboard smart charger, Get one . They will keep your batteries in tip top condition and get a lot of extra life out of them. My batteries were lasting about 18 months before I got one. Now Im getting +-5 years out of a battery.
#3. If you are using regular wet cell batteries, look into the sealed glass mat style battery. I have a cheap starting battery for my gate opener and I have to top off the water every couple months or it gets low and looses power. This is hard on a battery and I expect to have to replace it soon.

Chasing electrical gremlins sucks ! Hope you get it sorted quickly

X-Tennessean

Young Marine Circuit Breaker for Boat Trolling with Manual Reset,Water Proof,12V- 48V DC https://a.co/d/i3JD4J8

I would suggest this in the correct amp rating, consider for your TM batteries if you don't have one already which there should be!
Most people use the Perko switches which are higher but don't offer any protection...just merely a disconnect switch.
As mentioned you have constant drain on the battery somewhere more than likely but with todays manufacturing that could not be the case.
Put brand new batteries on 2 different trucks at work, Interstate made it 8 months and Napa made it 11 months.
Things are not made like they once was!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

woodyard

I have 2 Dekas for trolling motor and a Deka for starting. All are five years old and still going strong. That is what I will replace with when they go. This week I pulled my diesel tractor battery and replaced it. Made in Thailand and nine years old. Did not see a brand name. Still cranking it but I figured it is bound to go this winter. Replaced the Polaris battery while I was at it. No brand name. It was 7 years old and still going strong. Just replacing at my convenience, instead of having to.
Some of theses battery companies have it together and others I wonder about.

chimneyman

I always use the Wal mart batteries and with trickle charger always plugged in if the boat is at home I'm getting close to 5 years

scn

Thanks all!

I'm sure most of this is on me. I have a quality 3 bank charger that was working well until last year. Now it isn't charging on the battery in question. I used a portable charger on that battery before I put it to bed last December. I think I plugged the bank charger in once this spring that likely helped my TM batteries. My plans to use the boat in July were derailed by covid. So, it has set.

I'll try one more time to get this one to charge, and then go through the expense of replacing it. I suspect I will bite the bullet in the coming months and get the 3 bank charger replaced or repaired. When I put it back under cover in a few weeks, I will fully charge, and then unhook one of the terminals in case there is a drain on it. I don't believe the circuit breaker I have on it now will let me turn it off.

Aren't boats fun?

Last edited:

scn

What onboard charger do you have? If you plug it in it should have lights on each bank that tells you if it's charging, charged, bad battery, crossed wires, etc.
I forget the make. Two of the banks are working fine. The middle one gives an error code in its flashing lights. I will get with the company and see what they think.

WTM

more than likely that battery has some hard plate sulfation, especially if it went through the summer months without a top charge in between storage. should never let it get below 12.4v in storage for a lead acid/sealed agm.

after you check the electrolyte and charge it if you have a vom check the voltage the next day.it should read around 12.7v. if it reads 12.4v or below its sulfated.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Disconnect the positive terminal of the battery and connect it in series with a VOM capable of measuring mA (milliamps). That will tell you if you have something draining the battery. If you do, start disconnecting items connected to battery to determine the culprit.

hammer33

You can try to desulfate the battery. You can get one for about $15 off amazon. Give it a whirl if the the battery wont fully charge. Its worth a try and much cheaper than a new battery.

Latest posts