LR 308 Owners, I need some help.

kamml

I am building a DPMS Panther 308 lower using a C... AR 308 parts kit. What I have discovered is that the front and rear hinge pins are way too short by at least 1/4 inch to go completely across to the outside of the lower. Heck the front pin just barely makes it all the way to the other side. I can attach the upper but is seems to rock back and forth excessively. On my AR15s the pins go all the way across the lower so you can start to push the pins through from the opposite side. On this Panther the pins cannot be touched unless you use a push pin. I have ordered a Stoner kit from Midway to see if it is generic. I thought DPMS lowers were one of the best. The same for the lower kit from C... Surprise surprise. I am hoping its just AR10 kit on a LR10 lower problem. How do your 308s pins look?

backyardtndeer

How do your 308s pins look?
My factory lr308 I had factory built to order in 2009, they are barely past flush just like any ar. You may want to order dpms pins if you can find them. cdnn has a lot of Remington/bushmaster/dpms parts. Might call them, I do see these https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar-308-takedown-pivot-pin-set.html. The cmmg frame may be slightly narrower than your dpms, and their parts kit may have slightly shorter pins.

One of the ar10's lowers I built the pins are slightly recessed, but not like you describe. Seems like that was an aero lower parts kit.

Almost sounds like your parts kit has ar15 pins. The hinge and pivot pins for AR 15 and 10 are different. The bolt catch will also be different. Everything else in the parts kit is interchangeable.

Last edited:

kamml

I received my Midway USA AR 308 lower parts kit yesterday. Eureka, it had the longer pins and now the lower assembly, except for the trigger is completed. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I bought a JP trigger kit for the 9mm Glock mag pistol I built last summer but after shooting the pistol I decided the mil spec trigger with its red dot was good enough for an AR pistol to shoot varmints. The trigger in the 308 will put it to good use, if I can remember where I put the kit.

backyardtndeer

I bought a JP trigger kit
If you are talking about the spring kits, they work well. The yellow jp spring kits work fine, but for anything hunting or self defense related would go with their increased reliability spring set, which has a red and yellow spring. Makes a huge difference imo over any stock milspec springs.

Latest posts