Savage gurus, please step inside...need some help.

Tenntrapper

I've got a Savage Apex hunter that I'm wanting a new stock for. Honestly, not a ton of options out there. After a setback with trying to use an accustock...this is what I've found. I've got two issues...they say it has a 5.05 ctc action screw spacing. Savage says it's 5.062. B&C says it can be "modified". Next, they claim it uses factory detachable mags. Great, but which one? She said...not the AICS type. I ask if the standard plastic- bottom mag with the release on the mag...she said yes. But...I'm not sure if she's correct. I'm hoping she is...but they are clearly wrong about the spacing, so...not sure.
Has anyone used one of these stocks on a long action Savage 110, and can you offer any first hand knowledge...or advice?
Thanks

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I used one on a 116. Mine was mfg about 12yr ago. No fitment problems, but did have to get new bottom plastic from Savage. Mine used the metal mags with plastic bottoms and plastic front spring clips

Tenntrapper

I used one on a 116. Mine was mfg about 12yr ago. No fitment problems, but did have to get new bottom plastic from Savage. Mine used the metal mags with plastic bottoms and plastic front spring clips
New bottom plastic? My factory stock is one molded piece. The trigger guard comes off...but that's it.
That was my problem with the accustock...a big piece of it missing. Bottom metal (for AICS mags) was going to be 250.00 with still no guarantee that it would work.

If you get a chance, can you post a pic of the bottom of your stock...the way it came from b&c? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'll try to get a pic of my bottom tomorrow (sorry, couldn't help myself), but I also had to buy a longer front action screw (1/4x28) as well. The bottom plastic from savage was not expensive, and you just call Savage and let them know what you need, give them your serial number, and they'll send it to you. It takes the place of the molded-in-place factory stock bottom.

Tenntrapper

I'll try to get a pic of my bottom tomorrow (sorry, couldn't help myself), but I also had to buy a longer front action screw (1/4x28) as well. The bottom plastic from savage was not expensive, and you just call Savage and let them know what you need, give them your serial number, and they'll send it to you. It takes the place of the molded-in-place factory stock bottom.
Thanks. I think I've found what I need now...but it's not in stock. Will savage sell me one based on my serial # if my rifle doesn't need one? It's molded into the stock.

Also...does yours have the bottom bolt release, or the side release?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Thanks. I think I've found what I need now...but it's not in stock. Will savage sell me one based on my serial # if my rifle doesn't need one? It's molded into the stock.

Also...does yours have the bottom bolt release, or the side release?
Bottom release. I did my own paint job on it and replaced the recoil pad with a grind to fit limbsaver, but it is the B&C.

You can see the plastic bottom that I'm referring to, and I got it by calling Savage and telling them what I wanted and giving them my gun's serial number. You can reuse your trigger guard, but the magazine surround is what you want from Savage. I wish that someone made an aftermarket assembly (including trigger guard and mag release) made of metal, but alas.

The front action screw that I used came from Ace, and I used chrome since they didn't have SS and the first one that I got had no corrosion protection and rusted. I will eventually get one in stainless, but I keep forgetting to do so
1483C63F-80AD-4682-B94B-206DB433A2AD.jpeg
A1379BD1-4E08-462F-B3DB-08D18944DC61.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A53D493-5579-4907-B945-8C42244CED7C.jpeg
    7A53D493-5579-4907-B945-8C42244CED7C.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 23

Tenntrapper

Bottom release. I did my own paint job on it and replaced the recoil pad with a grind to fit limbsaver, but it is the B&C.

You can see the plastic bottom that I'm referring to, and I got it by calling Savage and telling them what I wanted and giving them my gun's serial number. You can reuse your trigger guard, but the magazine surround is what you want from Savage. I wish that someone made an aftermarket assembly (including trigger guard and mag release) made of metal, but alas.

The front action screw that I used came from Ace, and I used chrome since they didn't have SS and the first one that I got had no corrosion protection and rusted. I will eventually get one in stainless, but I keep forgetting to do soView attachment 167540View attachment 167541
Yep, that is the piece that I need. Since my original gun didn't have one, wonder if Savage will sell me that part. As to the metal bottom metal...they DO make them. PDG has them...they are for using AICS mags...and are about 250 bucks...and 2 months lead time.
I'll give savage a call today...see if they will sell me one....if in stock. Seem to be hitting roadblocks everywhere I turn with this thing.
Thanks for your help...it's much appreciated.