Low magnification scopes

BSK

I can't seem to find a decent quality (read: not interested in scopes $500+) scope with a minimum magnification of 2 or lower. Everything I find is now discontinued (i.e. Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35, Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33), or is a Scout rifle or pistol scope with long eye relief, or has a tiny objective lens 20-24mm that will never gather light.

Anyone know of a quality line of scope (not named Vortex - heard too many "had to return it for warranty work" stories about Vortex) that has a low magnification version that is still being produced?

TheLBLman

I know this isn't the answer to what you're asking, but I seriously believe what you're looking for may be based at least somewhat on misinformation and misunderstanding.

What I'm saying is there is a good reason why so many quality scope manufacturers are not offering low-magnification scopes with larger (than needed) objectives. The reason is that larger objectives are simply not needed above certain thresholds with each level of magnification.

Without getting highly technical, and assuming at least decent quality optics, an objective larger than 20mm will not allow any more useful light (to human eyes) than a 35mm objective at a magnification of around 3x to 4x.

I currently own some decent quality scopes with 20mm objectives.
In dark woods, I can clearly see deer before and after legal shooting times, with these scopes set on 4x. If I had younger eyes, maybe 5x.

If you're mainly using your scope set on 2x, it is just mostly unnecessary to have an objective larger than 20mm. It serves you no value, and is even a liability.

If I were looking to add a new low-magnification scope,
below is what highly appeals to me, and there is good reason why this quality scope is manufactured with only a 20mm objective --- anything larger becomes a liability.

Lastly, as hunters, we have somewhat been "sold a bill of goods" with the mass marketing of both higher than needed magnifications, as well as higher than needed objective lens. I'm positive one BSK understands this with the higher magnifications, but same applies with the larger objective lens. However, to some degree, larger objectives may have more merit with lower quality glass.

This Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 x 20mm is currently in stock at $499.99

Buy once, cry once.

BSK

TheLBLman,

You may very well be right. I'll have to actually look through a 20mm objective lens scope in low light to see for myself. The physics of optics is complicated!

TheLBLman

Several decades ago, most hunters were still using "iron" sights, while a few were coming to realize the benefits of optical sights.

For many years, the most popular rifle scope was the straight 4x magnification with a 32mm objective lens. The main reason it was originally manufactured with a 32mm objective was actually simply because that was all that was needed.

Over time, manufacturing techniques with variable magnification scopes improved, and the more common configuration became the 3-9 x 40mm. With a little higher magnification, a little larger objective was also needed.

But rifle scopes had become something of lasting value, and people bore and tire of whatever they already have. There was a "market" for something "new & novel" as much as something "better".

Since then, imo, it's been more about manufacturers driving sales with misleading marketing, mainly that more magnification is needed, as well as larger objectives are needed (which CAN be the case with greater magnification).

There was a period of time when gigantic 50mm objectives on 3-9x scopes was the latest marketing rage! I guess, if you were night hunting under moonlight, there might be a slight advantage (hence, some primarily night-use military optics having larger optics).

Personally, on day-use hunting guns (day use including dawn & dusk),
I have zero use for a 10x magnification having an objective any larger than 44mm, or a 3x magnification greater than 20 to 24mm.

Since we don't (yet) have objectives that variably adjust from 20mm to 44mm, a great compromise is a 3-12 x 44mm, a 3-9 x 40mm, a 2-7 x 32mm, as well as a 1.5-4.5 x 20mm. Assuming decent quality glass, all will do well in low light, although you may need to use slightly less than the maximum magnification as dusk turns to dark.

Actually, I would put a higher premium on glass quality than the size of the objective, so long as you're in the ballpark of a reasonable sized objective for the magnification being used.

BSK

Years ago, I remember reading that, physics-wise, there is a maximum objective size for each level of magnification. Beyond that size, a large objective does not collect more light. But I don't remember what those sizes were.

mr.big

Years ago, I remember reading that, physics-wise, there is a maximum objective size for each level of magnification. Beyond that size, a large objective does not collect more light. But I don't remember what those sizes were.
I think it's the power times 7 is the mm objective lens size

4 power times 7 is 28mm lens. Anything bigger is wasted. At least with good glass

fairchaser

An expensive (high Quality) scope is more important than an expensive rifle. A gun that will shoot MOA is plenty good enough for hunting but a poor scope can cause a miss or may be unreliable and unlikely to track well. Consider that moving the reticle less that 1/2 of one degree will change the elevation 25 mins. It takes a precision instrument to do this properly. You are paying for glass but also for the mechanism to be accurate and reliable. I have several vortex scopes and all are good priced scopes for the quality and one of their high end scopes is excellent but there are scopes that are high end such as Khales, March, Schmidt and Bender and Tangent Theta, I wish I could have. They are worth the money. I just can't justify paying that much for now. One day hopefully.

Andy S.

Not much in new offerings that fit your specifications. Few options: 1. buy used Nikon/Burris on eBay. I see them there occasionally. 2. Check out the Meopta Optika 5 at $400 price point. 3. Find a used or new Leupold Vx-3 or Vx-3i in 2.5-8 x 36 for $350 - $450.

One thing worth noting is quality used scopes are bringing top dollar at the moment, just like quality used guns, trucks and houses.

mr.big

The 1.75 to 6 Leupold is a really good woods to medium range scope also. They can still be found used pretty reasonable and the warranty transfers to the new owner

BSK

Not much in new offerings that fit your specifications.
I know! Funny, but I was searching on low magnification rifle scopes and I found a ton of articles from the late 20 teens saying how "low power optics are all the rage!" Well, not anymore because no one's really making many options in low power variable.

Few options: 1. buy used Nikon/Burris on eBay. I see them there occasionally. 2. Check out the Meopta Optika 5 at $400 price point. 3. Find a used or new Leupold Vx-3 or Vx-3i in 2.5-8 x 36 for $350 - $450.
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm dropping $300-500 on a scope, it better be brand new out of the box! Not a big fan of expensive used optics.

Last edited:

GMB54

Optika5 2-10x42 can be found for about $330 or less when SportOptics has them in stock. Currently they are $330 at cameraland and most other vendors also.

Andy S.

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm dropping $300-500 on a scope, it better be brand new out of the box! Not a big fan of expensive used optics.
Totally understand. With that said, I have purchased some really nice (LNIB) used scopes off of eBay, TnDeer, 24hourcampfire and Rokslide that were 99% or better. Some never mounted.

GMB54

Sightron has a small 2x S-TAC but the obj is smaller. One over looked scope is the Swift Premier 2x7x40. They are made in Korea with USA made BaK7 lens last i heard. They also have a 2.5-10x50 in a 30mm tube.

You say you dont want Vortex but i have not heard much bad about the Razor HD LH line. They are Japanese made at LOW. The 2-10x40 is currently on close out for about $450. Ive got this same scope and optically its really nice. You can also get a Veracity 2-10x42 CHEAP at Natchez.

BSK

I ended up getting the Leupold VX-Freedom in 2-7x33 with Hunt-Plex reticle. So far, I'm impressed. I'm having a bit of a problem seeing through the scope clearly with my progressive bifocals, but I also think I need to upgrade my eyeglass prescription. I noticed I'm starting to look through the upper progression to reading glass for long distance. And that's my problem with the scope; I need to look through the lower section to see through the scope clearly. I'm guessing my distance vision has declined, and a new pair of glasses my cure the clear-image-through-the-scope problem.

...and BTW, LOVE the Hunt-Plex reticle. Can see it clearly in low light.

Latest posts