Looks Mature but Should he get Another Year?

BlountArrow

I'm blessed to be in a situation where I can start asking myself these questions. Two/three years ago this deer would be killed; no questions asked (well, I would have tried). You guys that manage property (landowners / leases)...what would you do here? I'm an admitted trophy hunter when it comes to this particular piece of property, and while a mature buck is indeed a trophy in my book I got to wonder "if he lived would he be much bigger next year"? Would you let him walk in hopes he would be sporting a larger rack next year?

13f35f10ed028c7e620365e0c8541c64.jpg

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Boll Weevil

That is an old fellow. On my farm green light on that deer from a management perspective for sure...zero hesitation. Boom.

BlountArrow

Mr. Hawk":2478g13u said:
If recent pic may just be 3.5, swollen neck
It was taken 2 days ago I think. In my area they're not usually rutting yet; in fact they're not right now. But I'm not educated on how far in advance of the actual rut the neck swelling occurs either.

rem270

People have different opinions so i will give mine. I would not shoot that deer no matter the age. Now if you do then i will be as tickled for you as if i would have killed it.

Good luck. Hope you get to see him in person and make that decision!

redblood

he is old enough. i think he is 4.5 butwith a 2 buck limit and good farms to hunt..i would pass unless i had a late season tag. but i am fine with not killing anything and accomplish that pretty regularly

A

Anonymous

He may not add much but he will add mass. I would hold off personally but that's just me. Enjoy the chase!

WG3

It comes down to a personal choice, for myself, if I had a place where I didn't have to worry about other hunters taking him. I would pass, unless I hadn't gotten anything bigger. Just remember that all of these are personal opinions.

BlountArrow

W.Seay":1u5w0rdy said:
I don't think he'll gain much in the antler department, even by giving him another year.
Thanks for the input. For me, on this property that is the big question. Maybe I should have added too that this is South East TN, which isn't to say there aren't some dandy mountain bruisers here and there, but for our property he's probably within 20 inches of the largest bucks we've ever seen (and trust me the place is NOT crawling with them). One or two bucks the last three years; and he's one of maybe three this year.

tree_ghost

I would age this buck at 4.5yo...to me the thickness of the neck flows directly into the depth of the chest and brisket...front half of the body is symmetrical in thickness to the back half...also notice the apparent "short" muzzle on this buck, this is an indicator at this time of year that he's a 4.5...that being said I'd put him in the 115"-120" range...the jump from 4.5 to 5.5 usually will have the most noticeable difference in rack size when you look at the mass...tine length usually doesn't change much but many times this age class will start shooting sticker points off if the deer possesses those genetic traits... That being said if your a trophy hunter with the opportunity at a higher class buck then I say pass on him...just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts