Looks like TN Should be Able to Increase Sandhill Crane Numbers

TAFKAP

This is the most recent data available from USFWS. It appears that TN is only reporting about 1/4 harvest of their total tag allotment per year. Perhaps issuing each hunter 3 tags instead of 2, or increasing the amount of available 2-tag opportunities would increase that "opportunity" the TWRF is so in love with these days.

1632955555745.png

Pioneer1789

This is the most recent data available from USFWS. It appears that TN is only reporting about 1/4 harvest of their total tag allotment per year. Perhaps issuing each hunter 3 tags instead of 2, or increasing the amount of available 2-tag opportunities would increase that "opportunity" the TWRF is so in love with these days.

View attachment 115073
3 tags per person would make it worthwhile.

TAFKAP

I
TAFKAP, can you PM me the guide's information? My son drew a tag and he might be interested.
I'll tell you now

Chris Knight is the contact, and his service is called Southern Knights' Retrievers. Check them out on FB if you're so inclined.
(731) 592-5740

He's charging $200/gun to guide Sandhill crane hunts in the vicinity of Martin, TN. I hunted with him last year, and he set up in a cut corn field using an a-frame ground blind for about 8 folks. He sets out decoys, calls and works the birds, and retrieves them.

There aren't any DIY options I'm aware of in the area, since the birds spend a lot of their time in a refuge area, then feed in private farm fields throughout the day. This guide service scouts throughout the week, and selects their hunting site based on the birds' behaviors. No guide service guarantees success, but based on what I experienced the past 2 years hunting, you can count on a good probability of taking home some cranes.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I

I'll tell you now

Chris Knight is the contact, and his service is called Southern Knights' Retrievers. Check them out on FB if you're so inclined.
(731) 592-5740

He's charging $200/gun to guide Sandhill crane hunts in the vicinity of Martin, TN. I hunted with him last year, and he set up in a cut corn field using an a-frame ground blind for about 8 folks. He sets out decoys, calls and works the birds, and retrieves them.

There aren't any DIY options I'm aware of in the area, since the birds spend a lot of their time in a refuge area, then feed in private farm fields throughout the day. This guide service scouts throughout the week, and selects their hunting site based on the birds' behaviors. No guide service guarantees success, but based on what I experienced the past 2 years hunting, you can count on a good probability of taking home some cranes.
I know a guy that hunted with them last year. Top notch from all information I can get.
That's who I'm planning on using this year.

Latest posts