Looking to find a 28 ga youth or compact

Tenntrapper

Any advice or leads. My 9 year old is looking to move up from his single shot .410 this year.

Cannonball1

These are excellent guns. I have a couple Tristar Viper G2 Turkey models that are made in the same factory as the Mossberg SA series. I highly recommend looking at either one of these in the stock configuration that works the best for your son.
IMG_4357.jpeg

DaveTN

You might want to put a notification at grab a gun to let you know when they are in stock.

They have the 20 in stock, but not the 28 right now.

Carlos

I have a mossberg maverick 20ga youth that my Son has outgrown.
I'd take $200 for it.

Last edited:

Cannonball1

Bass Pro has the 20 gauge available in the same gun I posted above for $550. I really like mine, it's cerakoted and the barrrel is chrome lined. I'm just not sure how it would fit him. I know you wanted 28 gauge but shells and chokes are much easier to find in 20 gauge. It shoots really well too. I put 348 pellets in a 10" circle from 40 yards with Apex Mossy Oak blends.
IMG_4135.jpeg

Kelljp

Smokey mountain knife $ gun in Knoxville had a couple of CZs, and CZ is offering a rebate.
I brought a 28 ga Bobwhite there last week.

2in1shot

I have an sa-20 already. It does not like light loads. He is a mean 53 lbs. No issues firing off a hundred 410 shot shells in an afternoon. Just wanting to up his percentages a little with more gun.

mike243

As high as the shells are for a 28 I would go for a 20g, I bought a Weatherby years ago and really like it, they make a wood stock or synthetic version, I got the synthetic so I don't have to worry about rain damage.

Tenntrapper

As high as the shells are for a 28 I would go for a 20g, I bought a Weatherby years ago and really like it, they make a wood stock or synthetic version, I got the synthetic so I don't have to worry about rain damage.
You definitely get more options with a 20, and as long as you stay below 1oz loads, recoil should be similar. I shoot a 28, but I stockpiled ammo before everything went crazy. I should be good for life... 😂

Kelljp

If you watch Graf& Sons, Rogers or Natchezs they will run free shipping and hazmat a couple of times a year. I just bought a case of 28 gauge high brass #6 shot for $14 a box. That's the only way to buy ammo these days.

TN Larry

I bought my son a yildiz o/u youth 20 ga from Academy when he was 8 or 9. It served him well with not a lot of recoil. You may be set on a 28 but more options available on a 20 if he can shoot it recoil wise.

2in1shot

Update. The local Walmart had a Hatfield SAS in 28 ga. Fully disassembled and cleaned all internal components. Cut the stock to 11.5". Added a grind to fit limbsaver. Wish the barrel was 4" shorter. Runs like a top with 7/8 Oz loads.

Biggest con is $15 a box for ammo.

Latest posts