Looking for a pistol for daughter

Specializedjon

Absolutely. Everything is application driven. My daughter had questions about carrying and concealing. I told her there is a woman on YouTube (can't remember her name right now) that made a bunch of videos on how a woman can carry, and conceal. That's out of my wheel house.

You know as well as anyone that people need to be trained. They also need to talk to people that have been in shootings. I have mine own ideas that some don't agree with, but people should be exposed to different experiences make their own decisions.
Amen brother. What I tell people is, you're most likely not going to hear the shot or feel the recoil if you're involved in an actual shooting because the body goes into protection mode. The neurophysiological part of our brain blocks out those senses. That's why they stress DON'T SAY ANYTHING to the LEO after a shooting. Chances are you really can't remember what happened due to the stress that your body just reacted to. I know I'm going off in a TOTALLY different direction here. I'd rather see a well trained person (woman or man) with a sharp fork than an untrained person with a gun. Good discussion.

Professor Jon.....OUT.

DaveTN

Amen brother. What I tell people is, you're most likely not going to hear the shot or feel the recoil if you're involved in an actual shooting because the body goes into protection mode. The neurophysiological part of our brain blocks out those senses. That's why they stress DON'T SAY ANYTHING to the LEO after a shooting. Chances are you really can't remember what happened due to the stress that your body just reacted to. I know I'm going off in a TOTALLY different direction here. I'd rather see a well trained person (woman or man) with a sharp fork than an untrained person with a gun. Good discussion.

Professor Jon.....OUT.
I've told people that the first time I had to fire my weapon the thing that surprised me was popping that thumb break and drawing the weapon was not any of my thought process, it was automatic. Because that's how I trained. What was going through my mind was "Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?" and "And I justified in what I'm about to do?"

I'm no expert either. But rarely do I see people practice point instinct shooting. You may not have the light or the time to use sights. That could cost you your life.

Specializedjon

I've told people that the first time I had to fire my weapon the thing that surprised me was popping that thumb break and drawing the weapon was not any of my thought process, it was automatic. Because that's how I trained. What was going through my mind was "Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?" and "And I justified in what I'm about to do?"

I'm no expert either. But rarely do I see people practice point instinct shooting. You may not have the light or the time to use sights. That could cost you your life.
Spot on Dave. Well said

Steverino

I look at things from my wife's perspective - she's not strong enough to rack a slide nor could she handle 9mm recoil. She couldn't pull a .38 trigger either. So the .380 is where I went. Both are cocked with a round in the chamber, trigger pull is a bit tight but adrenaline should compensate there. Liberty ammunition is a new concept and even the lowly .380 can do 1500fps with a decent hollow point punch. Outdoorlimited says:
Liberty Civil Defense ammunition is a high velocity, extremely accurate load designed for self-defense. The 50 Grain Lead-Free Fragmenting Hollow Point bullet travels at 1500 feet per second, resulting in 12 inches of ballistic gel penetration and a permanent wound cavity greater than 2.5 inches in diameter. This light bullet, high velocity round yields 16% less felt recoil and has an effective range of 25 meters. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, and requires no weapons modifications.
I'd rather she shot this than lost the gun after the first trigger pull. I was planning a field trip to a range to see how she did then COVID showed up and canceled that. I thought about testing at my place but she'd have to stay in the 4x4 as wheel chairs don't do well on rocky ground. So we'll have to try that and see how it goes. THe other problem with her will be stability she has palsy so she'd need to rest it somehow. Its not a good situation.

Specializedjon

I look at things from my wife's perspective - she's not strong enough to rack a slide nor could she handle 9mm recoil. She couldn't pull a .38 trigger either. So the .380 is where I went. Both are cocked with a round in the chamber, trigger pull is a bit tight but adrenaline should compensate there. Liberty ammunition is a new concept and even the lowly .380 can do 1500fps with a decent hollow point punch. Outdoorlimited says:

I'd rather she shot this than lost the gun after the first trigger pull. I was planning a field trip to a range to see how she did then COVID showed up and canceled that. I thought about testing at my place but she'd have to stay in the 4x4 as wheel chairs don't do well on rocky ground. So we'll have to try that and see how it goes. THe other problem with her will be stability she has palsy so she'd need to rest it somehow. Its not a good situation.
@Steverino you're right about the adrenaline vs. recoil. I'd agree the .380 sounds like a good option for y'all's situation. I'll throw this out there...you can come to my place anytime and shoot. We've got a small range and wheelchair access isn't an issue. We're just North of y'all in Culleoka. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

BMan

Heck, I'd steer them to a good .22 if the "wrist issue" is of concern.

If limp-wristing is a concern, solid choice is a PPK or clone (Bersa .380 is one). Barrel is attached to the frame and doesn't float, so a lot less chance of a FTF or jam due to a weak wrist. Manual safety and a decocker (!!) is standard. Only down side is that it is a bit larger than the small pocket pistols.

user1776

If limp-wristing is a concern, solid choice is a PPK or clone (Bersa .380 is one). Barrel is attached to the frame and doesn't float, so a lot less chance of a FTF or jam due to a weak wrist. Manual safety and a decocker (!!) is standard. Only down side is that it is a bit larger than the small pocket pistols.
my wife will only agree to carry a 22lr because it doesn't scare her when she shoots it. she hates shooting my 9mm. my thinking is "whatever gets her to carry is better than not carrying"

BMan

my wife will only agree to carry a 22lr because it doesn't scare her when she shoots it. she hates shooting my 9mm. my thinking is "whatever gets her to carry is better than not carrying"

If she's comfortable with that, that's the right weapon for her to carry. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Latest posts