Looking for a pistol for daughter

Madbowh

Definitely stay with a .380 there so many options with them. Probably a ruger would be good can pick one up at buds for $200 brand new its plastic frame striker, but compact good round good price. Me and my wife carry a Springfield 1911 .380 $400 all metal frame easy to pull back for the ladies and wife loves it and she's never shot a gun until she met me

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
+1 for the Glock 43. Add the Vickers slide racker, strikeX mag extensions and call it a day. I have owned Ruger's LCP and LC9 and Kahr CW9, Springfield XD. IMHO the Glock is superior to all.

user1776

Sig p365, sig p365xl, or m&p shield plus. all have great and slimmer grips that fit really well in small hands. heck, i have medium sized hands and i like the grip feel over that of a glock 19

Timbuck83

I've got this for sale in the classifieds. Just throwin it out there. VERY low round count and comes with (4) 15-round mags, IWB holster and a OWB paddle holster (brand new). I agree with the G43 recommendation (I'm a Glock guy) but...I wanted a higher mag capacity. The SA Subcompact has that.
$400 takes it all.
Is this still for sale?

Spurhunter

Translation: Before you buy that Honda Accord, make sure you test drive the Porsche.

Both are great....one is just greater
True, but we are talking potential life and death. What's an extra $400 for a gun that you never have to worry about, will last your lifetime and whomever you hand it down to, and is deadly accurate? No offense to the LCP lovers. My Dad has one and carries it some. The first time he held my Sig P238 he said, "wow, that's what a pistol should feel like." I am a Glock guy. I don't like a carry gun with an external safety. I love this gun so much I carry it anyway.

DaveTN

Here's my thoughts, which are worth exactly what you are paying for them. ;)

BIL called me the other day and said his female friend's wanted to get a Shield EZ .380 without an external safety. I asked why they had chosen that? He said EZ for easy to rack slide and .380 for low recoil. And no safety because they read on the internet a thumb safety will get them killed.

My response was can't they rack a regular Shield? "Didn't know hadn't tried."

Is a 9mm to much recoil for them? "Didn't know, they don't have strong wrists."

As far as the round goes I think a .380 is useless. But that's just my opinion based on my experiences; others disagree. A 9mm would be a far better choice if they can reliably handle it.

Will they carry it in a purse? "Probably". A semi-auto being carried in a purse would have to be in a holster that would cover the trigger with absolutely no chance of it coming out. (Thumb break). Especially with no safety. Anything less and someone may get shot.

I suggested they check out a .38 revolvers. Still needs the trigger covered, but far less chance of something hitting the trigger and firing it.

Or a SCCY 9mm. Double action, with a 9lb trigger pull.

I told him I have a .38 S&W J-frame, a SCCY 9MM, and a .40S&W Shield (If they can handle it; they can handle anything). Come by and get them and take them to the range. Rent an EZ while there.

I also told him to tell them to do their "internet" research on the .380 EZ. I've never shot one, but when they came out there was a bunch of owners posting about ejection problems. They were desperately playing with magazines springs and such. My opinion; it's the .380 round. They didn't seem to have that problem when the 9mm EZ came out.

But the bottom line is that they need to shoot before buying, or they probably won't be happy. They need to know they can handle it, and they need to know they can carry it comfortable. Otherwise; it won't get carried. They also need to be trained, and they need to learn how to safely carry.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I hate the .380, also. I feel a compact .380 kicks worse than a sub-compact 9mm because of the lack of purchase on it when pulling the trigger. Recoil difference is minimal if you have a gun that fits well.

Stay the heck away from the S&W Bodyguard. The trigger pull and the safety design are ridiculous. Father-in-law bought one for his wife and another for mine because of listening to guys behind the counter who knew it was for a woman. It's a gun more likely to get you killed than the perp. Going to try to get rid of it, probably.

Specializedjon

Dave/youngun....completely agree with what y'all have said. One thing to add....shooting at the range and being involved in an actual defensive shooting scenario are two different worlds (I'm preaching to the choir I know). I'm not a .380 fan either, but if that's what they're comfortable with that's better than nothing. Heck, I'd steer them to a good .22 if the "wrist issue" is of concern. The real issue, IMO, is the carry option and PRACTICE drawing from a purse. For my students, I tell them "if you're going to make the decision to carry, it needs to be on-body...not in your purse". Kids get into purses and your purse isn't always with you. I've seen too many guys carrying in backpacks, fanny packs, etc. that don't PRACTICE drawing from those options. It'll all be over before they can get the zipper open. A women with a gun, whatever caliber, is going to be a "oh ***t moment" for the bad guy, she'll likely see his **s running away QUICKLY if that ever occurs. The chances of any of us getting into a gun fight with a meth head where caliber/stopping power comes into play are slim. I'd lean towards a few well placed .22 shots rather than a mag full of missed .45 caliber shots that spray the crowd.

My $.02

Specializedjon

If your in Knoxville, go by Point Blank. Have her shoot some of the rentals. Buying someone else a handgun, especially their FIRST, many not be a great idea.

I am NOT affiliated with P.B.
and get them the proper training. Having a gun will give you the necessary peace of mind, knowing how to administer the "freedom pills" in under 3 seconds will save your life.

DaveTN

Dave/youngun....completely agree with what y'all have said. One thing to add....shooting at the range and being involved in an actual defensive shooting scenario are two different worlds (I'm preaching to the choir I know). I'm not a .380 fan either, but if that's what they're comfortable with that's better than nothing. Heck, I'd steer them to a good .22 if the "wrist issue" is of concern. The real issue, IMO, is the carry option and PRACTICE drawing from a purse. For my students, I tell them "if you're going to make the decision to carry, it needs to be on-body...not in your purse". Kids get into purses and your purse isn't always with you. I've seen too many guys carrying in backpacks, fanny packs, etc. that don't PRACTICE drawing from those options. It'll all be over before they can get the zipper open. A women with a gun, whatever caliber, is going to be a "oh ***t moment" for the bad guy, she'll likely see his **s running away QUICKLY if that ever occurs. The chances of any of us getting into a gun fight with a meth head where caliber/stopping power comes into play are slim. I'd lean towards a few well placed .22 shots rather than a mag full of missed .45 caliber shots that spray the crowd.

My $.02
Absolutely. Everything is application driven. My daughter had questions about carrying and concealing. I told her there is a woman on YouTube (can't remember her name right now) that made a bunch of videos on how a woman can carry, and conceal. That's out of my wheel house.

You know as well as anyone that people need to be trained. They also need to talk to people that have been in shootings. I have my own ideas that some don't agree with, but people should be exposed to different experiences to make their own decisions.

Last edited:

Latest posts