Looking for a pistol for daughter

spctbone

2-Step Enabled
Wanting to buy a good carry pistol for my daughter for her 21st birthday. Small to medium hand size so can't be huge. I'm thinking 380, 38 or 9mm. What's out there?

KNOXVILLE AREA

BMan

Is she familiar with pistols already? If not, revolver may be a good first step. Point and click.

skipperbrown

Don't make the mistake I did and pick out the perfect gun for her. Let her pick it out and then try it. My wife picked a ppk because it was sexy, but it hurt her hand and she couldn't hardly rack it. Then she picked a j frame airweight because it was cute and small, but it hurt her hands plus she couldn't hit anything with it. Then she picked a steel 3" Ruger 101. It was a match. Small enough for her purse but heavy enough for her shoot good and tame the recoil.

Sako

Racking the slide is something to consider... S&W shield EZ is something to consider... I also agree with skipperbrowns comments... let them try a few and see what fits...

UCStandSitter

Hard to go wrong with a G43X for females. Seems to hit the Goldilocks spot for most. For males, I recommend G48. Both are pretty easy to conceal but still have enough beef to ensure good purchase on the weapon which leads to accuracy beyond 5 ft (lookin at you LCP line). Additionally, you'll find several great IWB holster options for them due to popularity. Glocks be ugly but, they flat work. Definitely prefer others in my arsenal for IDPA, showpieces, etc. but when it comes to a reliable carry, you can't beat em. As for price, can be had new for mid 400s.

BMan

Racking the slide is something to consider... S&W shield EZ is something to consider... I also agree with skipperbrowns comments... let them try a few and see what fits...

That's why the wife has a Sig P250C; easy to rack and has greatly increased her confidence in the weapon.

Specializedjon

I've got this for sale in the classifieds. Just throwin it out there. VERY low round count and comes with (4) 15-round mags, IWB holster and a OWB paddle holster (brand new). I agree with the G43 recommendation (I'm a Glock guy) but...I wanted a higher mag capacity. The SA Subcompact has that.
$400 takes it all.

Attachments

• XD.jpg
    XD.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 29
  • XD2.jpg
    XD2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 29

UCStandSitter

I've got this for sale in the classifieds. Just throwin it out there. VERY low round count and comes with (4) 15-round mags, IWB holster and a OWB paddle holster (brand new). I agree with the G43 recommendation (I'm a Glock guy) but...I wanted a higher mag capacity. The SA Subcompact has that.
$400 takes it all.
Had a SA compact at one time in .40. Was a beast! Those are best in 9mm. The .40 was a wrist breaker. The XD series never got its due I feel. Just as good of a gun as the Glock. Part of their downfall was aftermarket parts. 3rd parties haven't yet took to SA the way they did Glock which limited them with guys like me who trade out every stinking part on a gun like Legos. Good deal. If it weren't Christmas time I'd be tempted myself...

kamml

My wife attended an Aiken SC police shooting course for women back in the '80s. I had her armed with 380 cal PPKs that I had bought just for her. She was a real estate broker and needed a concealable firearm. During the very first training session, the officer in charge told her to put the semi away and they loaned her a S&W 6" 38 cal popo revolver. Needless to say, we traded the PPKs for an S&W Ladysmith 38 special that weekend. And after that, she learned to shoot it, even in the dark. It was a good training course for my wife.

Ranger5100

I have glock 26 that i carry on some occasions. My oldest daughter enjoys shooting it. fulcrum point on 26 is pretty smooth.

Latest posts