Loading a deer in truck bed by yourself!

Johndeere!

https://www.vikingsl.com/swivelift/

Try this . But someone needs to help him drag the deer out of the ditch first. Do this him over to a spot that the truck could actually back up to. Dragging a deer out of an entanglement of weeds/briars/vines or up any kind of angled slope/ditch , is in my opinion, a lot harder on the back/legs/ and all muscles , than loading it.

eddie c

I bought a HME deer hoist a couple of years ago. I bought the 400# capacity model that has a drop down plate to stabilize the lifting onto my 4wheeler.
I also use it to load the camper generator and a Rhino sewer tote into the truck when necessary.
I have a friend that bought a cheap version several years ago and last year it broke on a big buck he'd shot. He called me for help and when I showed up with mine he immediately started looking on his phone to order one.

Dully8861

I have the hoist others have posted about and love it for hanging the deer to skin but why not get one of those luggage racks that goes into the 2" receiver and load onto that? Depending on the truck, it would only be a foot or so off the ground. Put the front on, then the back, ratchet down and hope a girlscout troop isn't in the car behind him going down the road...

eddie c

I have the hoist others have posted about and love it for hanging the deer to skin but why not get one of those luggage racks that goes into the 2" receiver and load onto that? Depending on the truck, it would only be a foot or so off the ground. Put the front on, then the back, ratchet down and hope a girlscout troop isn't in the car behind him going down the road...
Done this several times. Wrap with a tarp, especially on wet rainy days and you're driving on gravel muddy roads. Amazing the road grime those racks catch.

PalsPal

The mudholes and rock climbs to get to the back of the property where the food plots are located would rip it off.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Last few deer luckily have been killed on the farm where I use my tractor. But last year I killed one and used my sled to pull him out. When I got to the truck I lifted by his antlers and about killed myself getting him in there. These ideas are great.

Knothead

Pray the deer falls beside a power pole or a fence post that he could back up to: 😂
1633113951030.jpeg

JR2

This was the best money I ever spent: https://www.vikingsl.com/l-e-vator/

After two hernias probably from loading up big IL deer, it was time to try something else. I used Lade's hangulator for skinning, but we never had it with us when it was time to load one. This Viking product makes it super easy, and it folds down to nothing. But, it looks like it is out of stock right now.
Nice!

Fulldraw61

So, I'm trying to figure a way that my soon-to-be 80 yr old dad can load a deer by himself when I am not with him.

He will be hunting from a shooting house in a food plot, so there shouldn't be any extended dragging etc.

I came across this video, and it looks like it should work perfectly, although he will have to pull the deer with the truck to a tree close enough to use.

If anyone has a better suggestion, please share.

I bought a luggage carrier that goes into the trailer hitch receiver and it works great to haul a deer. Just grab their legs and drag them right up. They will slid right in.

Fulldraw61

So, I'm trying to figure a way that my soon-to-be 80 yr old dad can load a deer by himself when I am not with him.

He will be hunting from a shooting house in a food plot, so there shouldn't be any extended dragging etc.

I came across this video, and it looks like it should work perfectly, although he will have to pull the deer with the truck to a tree close enough to use.

A luggage rack that goes into the trailer hitch receiver works great. It is low to the ground and they will slide right in.

Johndeere!

https://www.vikingsl.com/swivelift/

Try this . But someone needs to help him drag the deer out of the ditch first. Do this him over to a spot that the truck could actually back up to. Dragging a deer out of an entanglement of weeds/briars/vines or up any kind of angled slope/ditch , is in my opinion, a lot harder on the back/legs/ and all muscles , than loading it.

Grill-n-man

Omega, was going to get one just like that but the one I got has an extension leg coming out the bottom to the ground. Reduces the load on the 90 bend where come out from receiver up to hoist. It was $30 more but seeing how Murphy's law haunts me figured be money well spent

Omega

Omega, was going to get one just like that but the one I got has an extension leg coming out the bottom to the ground. Reduces the load on the 90 bend where come out from receiver up to hoist. It was $30 more but seeing how Murphy's law haunts me figured be money well spent
Yea, seen those, and too would have opted for one myself (may add it later) if it had been available back then. So far no issues that would have me needing it, the upright tends to lean toward the weight (deer) a bit, but except for needing more effort to swing the deer into the truck, it isn't that bad. The only issue I had was that the gambrel would make the deer hang too low, so it was a struggle to get the deer into the truck, but just added an extension so it's easy now. I have actually drove, slowly, the truck while I had a deer hanging off the hoist, just had to go about 200 yards so it wasn't that bad, but it swings too much so better to just put it in the bed first, but the bend can take the stress.

Joe2Kool

A homemade deer stretcher may work. Picture a ladder made of 2X4s. Make it a little wider than a ladder. Lay it in the ground. Drag deer onto it. Lift one end to tailgate. Then lift the other and slide him in!

Latest posts