Living on the land you hunt?

buckaroo

We are looking at a house with 16 acres, that nearly joins my 40 acres I hunt. I'm wondering if I live everyday in my deer woods that hunting will be the same? In one way I think I will love it., but in another my killer desire may drop a bit?

Boll Weevil

You might love it but my guess is the deer won't for one reason: pressure. If you're in the woods all the time (even not hunting) they'll get to where they know your comings and goings like you wouldn't believe. On a small piece, too much human activity can definitely influence deer activity.

buckaroo

I do alot of habitat work, but I feel like I would do more around the house than the 40 I hunt on. The 40 acre is about half mile away

landman

I just sold a couple 28 acres to build their Dream Home on, their son just killed his first turkey on it Saturday morning. Having the right food, cover, and surrounding tracts makes a big difference, also keeping it low pressured

timberjack86

I have almost 8 acres and have planted food plots and trees. I love the habitat work but I hardly ever hunt it. I like to see deer in the backyard. I did kill 1 doe with a bow off my food plot last year. That was pretty cool.

lpo1981

I live on 40 acres my parents own and have a treestand 300yds from my back porch.. I've managed to kill a 3.5+ y/o buck every year off this property since 2005 with exception of 2007 when we had the ehd... Although I do stay out of the woods I don't do any hiking or scouting except a few days a year.. I predominately do not venture back there except for firewood or to check a trail cam...

bigtex

I live on the land I hunt [60 acres] I hunt it exclusively. I do find myself being more selective in what I kill and I do have a self imposed "safety zone" and don't hunt closer than 300 yds from the house.
I like being able to look out the window and seeing deer and turkeys, its pretty darn neat and something I have always dreamed of doing.
Even though I am more selective in what I kill now I make sure to put a few deer in the freezer every year. Makes no matter if it's me doing the shooting or my wife, daughter or Grandson, just as long as we kill enough deer to have venison or turkey a couple of times each week throughout the year.
Nothing like waking up in the mornings, putting my hunting clothes on and stepping out the back door to go hunting.
The deer don't seem to mind my daily "walkabouts" in fact I think they get accustomed to my presence. Not saying they become tame, they know that they are fair game. I do try to keep out of some of the places they prefer to bed in, until the time is right.

deerhunter10

I don't personally own any land yet. but when I do I will not live on it atleast not my main farm. I may live on a smaller track but I will have a separate farm. ive seen it over and over again the desire go down. may not happen to everyone but it does happen and I don't want that to happen to me.

PickettSFHunter

I want to build on one of my tracts someday, but wont be building on my main 107 acre tract or 55 acre tract. Probably buy just enough to qualify for greenbelt to build on and focus more on farming, orchard and recreation than hunting.

Hunter 257W

I never thought about there being a negative except for the obvious potential to spook deer by being there all the time. The amount of impact living on your hunting land makes depends on how your property is laid out and how far your house is from the areas you actually hunt I suppose. Mine is set up well for that as the house is well away from the main wooded areas and it's 237 acrs so big enough to have some distance between the deer's core area and myself. To me it makes it more exciting living there because of all the year round fun yu can have with food plots, tree planting, deer observations, etc.

TNlandowner

I live on my 128-acre farm. I absolutely love it! We usually enjoy daily visits from deer and turkey. I also have more time for improvement tasks. I can literally walk out my door and be on stand in a few minutes. This lets me sleep a little longer. :eek:)

Swampster

I think there is something satisfying about hunting the land you own and live upon. In all my life I have never hunted any other way. When I was a kid I hunted on my father's farm. For about twenty years I didn't hunt at all. Then I started buying land and hunting some again.

buckaroo

We have signed the contract so we are all excited, it also has river frontage with some great fishing, and we all have open face kyaks

Farm manager

I have lived on the property that I hunted on for the last 25 years. My desire to hunt for myself has bottomed out, maybe because so much of my life revolves around hunting and wildlife management that I get enough of it through contact with others and there is always so much to do. When managing public land years ago, nearly everyone that I had any contact with was a hunter and was either hunting or talking about it. By the end of season I had all that I wanted and was ready to hear about anything other than deer. When in my teens and twenties, if anyone had ever told me that I would slow down hunting, I would not have believed them. However when I go hunting off the farm, I have an altogether different attitude, hunting is why I am wherever I am at so hunting is what I am all about.

A

Anonymous

I live on the main 300 acres that I hunt. Being here, and seeing the deer everyday only help me to pattern them. There are groups of deer that I leave alone because they stay close to the house and aren't afraid of human presence. The rest are fair game. I love it. Part of managing a property for wildlife is enjoying watching them on a daily basis and seeing them thrive.