Little fishing tip

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
This is probably old news to everyone but me but I thought I would share what I learned anyway.
I have started using little Bobby Garland jig body's lately and absolutely love them.
My best trip so far has been 6 different species of fish with the same lure. LOL

Big bream love them too.

Biggest problem is the body sliding off the bait keeper on the jig head and having to fix it every time you hit something under water.
Sorry for the quality of the pics but maybe you will get the idea.

First I take the jig and wrap dental floss around the bottom of the head and all the way down the shaft of the hook and tie it off.
Apply a few drops of super glue to the dental floss. Use a jig holder of you WILL walk around with a hook stuck to your finger for a while. ;)

Then simply slide the body on and push it up good and tight against the head.

I caught around 50 fish with one jig before it finally slipped down.
That was the first one I did and I only used literally two drops of glue.
I have since increased the amount of glue so we will see how long they last now.

Attachments

• jigshaft.jpg
    jigshaft.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,030
  • jigbody.jpg
    jigbody.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,031

VAHunter

Interesting use of the dental floss. I skip a lot of crappie jigs, so I've used super glue for as long as I can recall. However, I just apply the glue right at the bottom of the lead and then put on my jig body.

WTM

i rig them like that when i use those sickle hooks for crappie, except i put the belly on up closer to the hook. helps keep the snags down and keeps from hooking non keeper bluegills in the eye.

now i mainly use weedless slider jigs for crappie. i do like those sickle hook jigs and wish i could find them in a #8 hook size around here.

Spurhunter

RUGER":3k40g6hf said:
Pilchard":3k40g6hf said:
Is there a reason you fish your jig body upside down?

Figured the fat part would be the belly and would go down. :D

Both posts are correct. The fat part is the body and goes down, but this one is rigged upside down. It will swim with the line tie up. Belly should be opposite of line tie. I have to think about it every time I rig one of these. :tu:

Spurhunter

I'm not familiar with the dental floss, but the super glue is a necessity. I just put it on the part of the jig head that the bait goes on and slide it up. I like the Loctite Gel Super Glue. And yes, you will definitely end up with your fingers stuck together! :lol:

TN Larry

MickThompson":29mthlum said:
Pilchard":29mthlum said:
Is there a reason you fish your jig body upside down?

He caught 50 on it like that- maybe the rest of us are doing it wrong...

Could be, but he may have caught a hundred on it if rigged the other way. Lol.... :poke: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It may not matter either way, but I always rig them with the hook out the smooth top so the belly goes down.

hillbillyfab

I'll have to try that super glue tip. I've been using Bobby Garland plastics for a couple years. I like them. I do agree that the fat part is the belly, but what about the little slit in those plastics? I always thought that was for the hook exit point? Am I wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_134555952.jpg
    IMG_20200522_134555952.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_20200522_134540265_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200522_134540265_HDR.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 553

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
WTM":37an33qw said:
isnt the slit for making them weedless like bass plastics?

I would say so.
I will have to look at mine and see if they have the slit, I honestly have never noticed it. LOL

Latest posts