Limited out (thread a little late)

Bone Collector

Well i've been busy and haven't had time to sit down and write a long post. I actually killed two more birds, both were jakes. I killed the first one the Thursday before the flood. I got off work and decided to go hunting. I forgot I was supposed to go to the in-laws to pick up some furniture and headed out. I got to a spot where I had been seeing a lot of activity and found a group of Jakes that was leaving a field to go to roost. I knew where they were roosting and cut them off. First one that got in range got a dirt nap. I have no pictures of this bird, because when i got home I had to go to my in-laws.

weight 15-16 lbs.
main beard 3"
two addl. beards 1" a piece.
Spurs not worth measuring.
Breast meat in the freezer.

I went out last wednesday as the water was receding back into the river/lake and the fields were drying up. I left out right after work and got to my first spot at 5 pm. I did some scouting and did not see any birds. On my way out I saw two hens in a field that i had to pass by to get out of there. It actually encouraged me, because i was just going to head home, but i thought maybe they were moving a little later tonight. I went to another spot and eased up to one of the fields that had been flooded. The water had pretty much receded and I saw at least one jake and two hens moving toward the corner of the field. I eased out and around and was able to sneak up to the edge of the field and look down their way. I then noticed a tom in the group and hoped i could get in position to get him. I belly crawled nearly 20 yds and got within 15 yds of the group, but it was so thick i had no shot. I just laid there and and hoped that they would work out from the edge and i could get a shot. I guess they had heard me and by the rules of hierarchy the jake had to come see what was moving around in the woods. He got within 10 yds and the periscope went up. I knew if i twitched he would run and take the others with him and I knew he would win the stare down, so I twitched my trigger finger and gave him a face full of #5 :grin:.

Weight 15 lbs.
beard 4"
spurs N/A

DSCN0723.jpg

Here is everything together.
DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0726.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

Not a bad for being my second turkey season. I'm getting hooked! :grin:

Latest posts